Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Ja...@fac.com on 2000/06/20 17:57:20 UTC

Does ant discriminate

Hi,

Newbie here.  Question...

Can I use ant as a build tool for any language I write code in?

It sounds like I can build on major platforms (UNIX/NT -how 'bout
BeOS?).  Portability is cool.  I need to construct a software code
control system, and some of the language is proprietary.  I have
languages in:

4gl -Informix's language
ksh
c++
html
java

and a myriad of others.  Can I use ant to do this?  Does anybody know?
Has anyone had to construct a software code control system?

Respectfully,
Jabbar

Re: Does ant discriminate

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.
At 11:57  20/6/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Can I use ant as a build tool for any language I write code in?

theoretically yes but in actuality it can be a little difficult. As ant is
based on the notion of tasks and you can program your own tasks in java
then it is quite possible to do anything thou you may have to actually
write some code for things not related to java and general filesystem
because no one yet has done it.

>It sounds like I can build on major platforms (UNIX/NT -how 'bout
>BeOS?).  Portability is cool.  I need to construct a software code
>control system, and some of the language is proprietary.  I have
>languages in:

BeOs maybe out depending on whether the Kaffe port ever got finished for
that platform. However any platform with java is able to run it with
relatively few problems.

Cheers,

Pete