Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/02/14 23:14:57 UTC

Depending on a plugin, again.

Is there any way to build a plugin in one module and use it in another
and have the dependency service make sure the plugin is built before it
is used?

If so, please provide a working example or a patch for the geronimo
project maven-xmlbeans-plugin.

I've tried everything I can think of and all cause severe problems in
one way or another.

This is causing great pain and a good deal of frustration with maven in
the Geronimo project.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Depending on a plugin, again.

Posted by Christian Andersson <ca...@ofs.no>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>I will add this use case as it has become fairly common and to provide a
>>high degree of usability plugins builds and installations have to be
>>taken into consideration when bootstrapping.
>>
>>I would suggest the script solution as it's pretty easy and you need to
>>invoke maven a second time to pick up the plugins you installed the
>>first time.
>

> As a little follow up, I took a peek and it probably wouldn't be that
> hard to poke something in to check to process the plugins before each
> build. We are planning to release rc2 next week so I'll try to squeeze
> that a fix in.

I have a small qestion, how long does it take to process the plgins? 1
sec, 10sec? if so, adding that chekc before everybild, would that not
slow down the whole process a lot?

maven does after all know when new plugins are beeing installed..
why not do the check there instead of before every build?

if you make the funktionality to "process the plugins" "public" to the
jellyscripts, it would not be hard to add the functionallity to the
plugin:install jelly script or any other jelly script that needs to.

is not that just a more flexible sollution?

/Christian

Re: Depending on a plugin, again.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 18:57, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 17:14, David Jencks wrote:
> > Is there any way to build a plugin in one module and use it in another
> > and have the dependency service make sure the plugin is built before it
> > is used?
> >
> > If so, please provide a working example or a patch for the geronimo
> > project maven-xmlbeans-plugin.
> >
> > I've tried everything I can think of and all cause severe problems in
> > one way or another.
> >
> > This is causing great pain and a good deal of frustration with maven in
> > the Geronimo project.
>
> The problem is with what you're trying to do is that when Maven starts
> up it processes all the plugin and their relationships. If you start a
> run and add plugins during that run Maven won't pick those up until the
> next time you start. There is no facility in Maven currently to poke the
> runtime during operation to inform Maven of new plugins.
>
> For bootstraps that have plugin dependencies you need to install them
> first. So as a simple work around that is user friendly I would provide
> simple two lines scripts to do the plugin build and install and then do
> the build.
>
> I will add this use case as it has become fairly common and to provide a
> high degree of usability plugins builds and installations have to be
> taken into consideration when bootstrapping.
>
> I would suggest the script solution as it's pretty easy and you need to
> invoke maven a second time to pick up the plugins you installed the
> first time.

As a little follow up, I took a peek and it probably wouldn't be that
hard to poke something in to check to process the plugins before each
build. We are planning to release rc2 next week so I'll try to squeeze
that a fix in.

> > thanks
> > david jencks

jvz.