Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2005/01/11 12:35:25 UTC

svn repository

Who is going to finish moving the directory structure?

Right now, I can't load core as an Eclipse project because some of the
example apps rely on tiles, which relies on core.  Creating a circular
reference as far as project dependencies goes.

I remember someone mentioning moving all the apps to an 'apps/trunk' base.
Is that still going to happen?

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: svn repository

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>1. Why does commons-chain have a sample application called "mailreader"?
>   This looks to be the same mailreader as the one in Struts.

Probably because it was an easy way to demonstrate a chain app!

>2. core doesn't compile with "ant dist" or "maven dist" due to half baked
>   file structure changes.  Specifically, the sample apps refer to TagUtils,
>   which they can't find.  How does the nightly run anyway?

It's just one offending class:
src/test/org/apache/struts/util/TestRequestUtils.java

which actually tests methods which were moved to TagUtils and have
been removed from RequestUtils.  It could probably be deleted or 'svn
move'd to the taglibs side and adjusted to test the methods in their
new class and repository location...

>[The plan (yes, I'm volunteering) ]
>So, unless someone says something, my plans are as follows:

Looks great.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: svn repository

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
<snip/>

>>Where did 'conf' or 'config' go? We currently have 'conf/share',
>>'src/conf', etc., but I don't see where those land in your structures.
>
> I was assuming most of those things landed in src/resources.
> Personally, I'd be more comfortable with putting the things that get
> bound into the jar in src/resources under their final classpath.
> This works more automatically with maven, and I think it's clearer.
>
> That is, move
> conf/share/chain-config.xml
> src/resources/org/apache/struts/chain/chain-config.xml

Yes, I like that idea too.

> I missed it too.  I'm nervous that "modules" is too reminiscent of
> Struts modules specifically, especially since it's a relatively
> uncommon word otherwise.  What's wrong with examples, besides that
> there's also an "example"?  Should those two be merged?  I have to
> admit that I haven't spent a lot of time with the example webapps
> (until this week!) and don't want to get in the way of anything
> you're motivated to do...

Ya, I thought of 'modules' since the app demonstrates how to use
modules by repackaging 3 previously separate examples.  I'll leave
it alone for now (keep it as 'examples') since that's what most of
us are used to.

>>No, that's fine. If you have an itch to put a Maven build system
>>together, more power to you. I was actually taking tips from Maven for
>>the Ant build system anyway. ;-)
>
> On the topic, I think that one of the biggest perceived limitations
> of Maven for Struts right now is that it doesn't "do everything that
> the Ant build does."

Yes, I have made that exact statement on a number of occasions.  Yet,
the more I work with Maven, the more I like it.  There are still things
that aggravate the hell out of me, but I'm dealing with it.  One day
I can say I'm a Maven maven, but not today :P

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: svn repository

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Ok, I'm laying out a detailed plan for this effort.  I will publish it to
the wiki and ask for comments before I actually start this.  With any luck,
(giving people enough time to respond) I can finish this restructure effort
before the end of next week.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: svn repository

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: svn repository

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: svn repository

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>  > I'd like to get them all consolidated (at least as much as can be done)
>>  providing a single mailreader.jar for the variations.
>
>Do you mean one jar of the bits common to all flavours, and then
>separate apps for each variation? If so, I think this would be a good
>approach. If you mean combine the various mailreader apps into one, I
>think that would muddy the waters, and wouldn't work as well as
>examples of how to do things.

I've seen talk before about bundling the "business app" part of
Mailreader into its own jar, which I think is what you meant in your
first sentence, Martin.  I think this is a good idea, because I think
beginning struts users sometimes don't have a good sense of how to
arrange for good separation of Struts from a more generalized
framework.  In so far as we can demonstrate this a little bit, that
would be a good thing.

>  > >
>>  > We need to come up with one standard structure - we seem to have quite
>>  > a few at the moment. The sources go in different places, the config
>>  > files go in different places, etc. Not easy to follow at all.
>>
>>  Yes, that's exactly what I intend to clean up.  Please don't hesitate
>>  if something looks odd, or if you prefer a diffent name.
>
>Where did 'conf' or 'config' go? We currently have 'conf/share',
>'src/conf', etc., but I don't see where those land in your structures.

I was assuming most of those things landed in src/resources.
Personally, I'd be more comfortable with putting the things that get
bound into the jar in src/resources under their final classpath.
This works more automatically with maven, and I think it's clearer.

That is, move
conf/share/chain-config.xml
src/resources/org/apache/struts/chain/chain-config.xml

For things which are conventionally put in WEB-INF, we'd need to
agree to a location.  I think it might be nice to be more clear about
that, perhaps with conf/webinf or src/webinf but I don't feel too
strongly about it.

>  > Not sure how many people caught my rename for 'examples' :D
>
>I admit that I missed it until you mentioned it just now. It could
>certainly use a new name, but I'm not sure about 'modules'.

I missed it too.  I'm nervous that "modules" is too reminiscent of
Struts modules specifically, especially since it's a relatively
uncommon word otherwise.  What's wrong with examples, besides that
there's also an "example"?  Should those two be merged?  I have to
admit that I haven't spent a lot of time with the example webapps
(until this week!) and don't want to get in the way of anything
you're motivated to do...

>No, that's fine. If you have an itch to put a Maven build system
>together, more power to you. I was actually taking tips from Maven for
>the Ant build system anyway. ;-)

On the topic, I think that one of the biggest perceived limitations
of Maven for Struts right now is that it doesn't "do everything that
the Ant build does."  While this is true, it's likely to become less

Re: svn repository

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:09:48 -0500, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> >>     '  '
> >>     ' [-]  test
> >>     '  '      (really need to get this back in order
> >>     '  '       or figure out a new strategy..more on
> >>     '  '       this later)
> >
> > Is this all taglibs tests right now? If so, perhaps it should live
> > under 'taglibs' instead of 'apps', since it isn't a "real"
> > application. If not, um, I dunno. This seems an odd place for tests.
>
> Yes, good point, I agree
>

> > You missed one. We also have 'struts-examples' directly under
> > 'core/trunk', which has 'mailreader' in it. Just to complicate things,
> > this also has a different source structure.
>
> Yes, I've done some diffs on the various mailreader apps that
> seem to litter the landscape ;)
>
> I'd like to get them all consolidated (at least as much as can be done)
> providing a single mailreader.jar for the variations.

Do you mean one jar of the bits common to all flavours, and then
separate apps for each variation? If so, I think this would be a good
approach. If you mean combine the various mailreader apps into one, I
think that would muddy the waters, and wouldn't work as well as
examples of how to do things.

> > We need to come up with one standard structure - we seem to have quite
> > a few at the moment. The sources go in different places, the config
> > files go in different places, etc. Not easy to follow at all.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I intend to clean up.  Please don't hesitate
> if something looks odd, or if you prefer a diffent name.

Where did 'conf' or 'config' go? We currently have 'conf/share',
'src/conf', etc., but I don't see where those land in your structures.

> Not sure how many people caught my rename for 'examples' :D

I admit that I missed it until you mentioned it just now. It could
certainly use a new name, but I'm not sure about 'modules'. I don't
hate it, though, and can't think of anything better right now. With
SVN, renames are easy enough, so we could go with this for now and
change it if someone comes up with a better name.

> >> - merge the mailreader sample app (and tests) from commons-chain
> >>   to struts "apps" (as indicated above)
> >
> > Need to check the relationship between this mailreader and the one
> > under struts-examples.
>
> will do.
>

> >> I would like all the apps/trunk/foo to be mavenized, and each project.xml
> >> creates a single .war file suitable for deployment.  Each project
> >> would/should inherit from a parent project.xml under apps/trunk that can
> >> build the entire set of apps.  So you can build any app you like, or just
> >> build them all.  The build.xml file will be generated by maven (hopefully
> >> the path issues will be resolved).
> >
> > Do you plan to do Maven builds for the other subprojects as well, or
> > just for the 'apps' subproject? Should I take the Ant build system off
> > my to-do list?
>
> I hope you don't feel that I'm ripping the rug from under your feet.  That
> is
> certainly not my intent.

No, that's fine. If you have an itch to put a Maven build system
together, more power to you. I was actually taking tips from Maven for
the Ant build system anyway. ;-)

> I was just hoping to get a consistent structure
> and build for the "apps" for now.  The repository seem to be in shambles at
> the moment.

Yah, it is. ;-(

> As complicated as the build xml files (all 3 of them) seem to be to
> some people, I know them pretty well, and it just makes my head hurt
> looking at where we are now and what needs to happen to get a clean
> "ant dist" and "ant release".

I was hoping to do this incrementally. It'll be messy in the short
term, but should get us up and running more quickly. Once we have a
standard directory structure in place, as you're suggesting and as I
was planning, it will be much easier to put a consistent build system
in place across the board.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: svn repository

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
<snip/>

>>     '  '
>>     ' [-]  test
>>     '  '      (really need to get this back in order
>>     '  '       or figure out a new strategy..more on
>>     '  '       this later)
>
> Is this all taglibs tests right now? If so, perhaps it should live
> under 'taglibs' instead of 'apps', since it isn't a "real"
> application. If not, um, I dunno. This seems an odd place for tests.

Yes, good point, I agree

> You missed one. We also have 'struts-examples' directly under
> 'core/trunk', which has 'mailreader' in it. Just to complicate things,
> this also has a different source structure.

Yes, I've done some diffs on the various mailreader apps that
seem to litter the landscape ;)

I'd like to get them all consolidated (at least as much as can be done)
providing a single mailreader.jar for the variations.

> We need to come up with one standard structure - we seem to have quite
> a few at the moment. The sources go in different places, the config
> files go in different places, etc. Not easy to follow at all.

Yes, that's exactly what I intend to clean up.  Please don't hesitate
if something looks odd, or if you prefer a diffent name.  Not sure how
many people caught my rename for 'examples' :D

>> - merge the mailreader sample app (and tests) from commons-chain
>>   to struts "apps" (as indicated above)
>
> Need to check the relationship between this mailreader and the one
> under struts-examples.

will do.

>> I would like all the apps/trunk/foo to be mavenized, and each project.xml
>> creates a single .war file suitable for deployment.  Each project
>> would/should inherit from a parent project.xml under apps/trunk that can
>> build the entire set of apps.  So you can build any app you like, or just
>> build them all.  The build.xml file will be generated by maven (hopefully
>> the path issues will be resolved).
>
> Do you plan to do Maven builds for the other subprojects as well, or
> just for the 'apps' subproject? Should I take the Ant build system off
> my to-do list?

I hope you don't feel that I'm ripping the rug from under your feet.  That
is
certainly not my intent.  I was just hoping to get a consistent structure

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: svn repository

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:58:32 -0500, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> Actually, I had bigger things in mind....well, sort of ;)
>
> See intermixed.

I believe Joe's answer hits the nail on the head.

> 2. core doesn't compile with "ant dist" or "maven dist" due to half baked
>   file structure changes.  Specifically, the sample apps refer to TagUtils,
>   which they can't find.  How does the nightly run anyway?

It's failing at the moment. Phooey. I made local changes to get it
running, but it seems I omitted to actually commit those changes. I'll
try to fix that tonight.

> 3. What is the status of tiles?  I though David Geary was extracting
>   it from core and we would simply provide an integration library.

I think we're in limbo at the moment. I believe the current thinking
is that David G will bring his Struts-independence changes into the
fold, and Tiles will live as a subproject for a while, potentially
graduating to a TLP when it's "ready".

>   Also, tiles/trunk seems to be a copy of core/trunk, is this correct?
>   The tiles stuff seem to be under tiles/trunk.old

Dunno. That's a question for Don, I think, since he did the Tiles &
Taglibs extractions.

> [The plan (yes, I'm volunteering) ]
> So, unless someone says something, my plans are as follows:
> - move all the sample apps to a new "apps" subproject as follows:
>    [-] trunk
>     ' [-] blank
>     '  ' [-] src
>     '  '    [+] java (nothing in here right now)
>     '  '    [+] resources
>     '  '    [+] test
>     '  '    [+] webapp
>     '  '
>     ' [-]  example (mailreader)
>     '  '     (needs to be merged with latest
>     '  '        from several places)
>     '  ' [-] src
>     '  '    [+] java
>     '  '    [+] resources
>     '  '    [+] test
>     '  '    [+] webapp
>     '  '
>     ' [-]  examples
>     '  '     (exercise, upload, validator)
>     '  '     (i feel this should be renamed to 'modules')
>     '  ' [-] src
>     '  '    [+] java
>     '  '    [+] resources
>     '  '    [+] test
>     '  '    [+] webapp
>     '  '
>     ' [-]  test
>     '  '      (really need to get this back in order
>     '  '       or figure out a new strategy..more on
>     '  '       this later)

Is this all taglibs tests right now? If so, perhaps it should live
under 'taglibs' instead of 'apps', since it isn't a "real"
application. If not, um, I dunno. This seems an odd place for tests.

>     '  ' [-] src
>     '  '    [+] java
>     '  '    [+] resources
>     '  '    [+] test
>     '  '    [+] webapp
>     '  '
>     ' [-] tile-documentation
>     '  '     (this should probably go to tiles/trunk)

Yup.

Re: svn repository

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

--