Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com> on 2002/06/13 03:27:09 UTC

New JAXP FAQ

Hi all,

Since JAXP 1.2 spec has officially been approved.  I've updated the JAXP
FAQ that I have been maintaining.  This FAQ contains updated info on
JAXP such as the fact that the RI now uses the Xerces2 parser.  It also
contains links to online browsable javadoc and JAXP RI docs.

http://xml.apache.org/~edwingo/jaxp-faq.html

BTW, the official version on java.sun.com still needs to be updated (it
is a heavier weight process).

-Edwin

Re: New JAXP FAQ

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Good,

But my question entirely remains (it may be found this time). I entirely
understand the differences between specification and implementations
(and reference implementation). But:

-> you don't indicate where to find the specification's java interfaces

-> you don't indicate under which license they can be used and obtained

Those two things are crucially lacking as, still often, implementation
distributions do contain the specifications' java interfaces (generally
called jaxp.jar or embedded in another jar)  but they do so without
mentionning a single license. As a result no-one knows the rights to use
it, hence... surprises may come when this license is actually found...

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Re: New JAXP FAQ

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@Sun.COM>.
Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Can we hope to have a coherence at some point with these JAXP licenses ?
> This has been hanging around since way too much time, I feel. Or is it
> simply a JCP internal debate left ?

My take on this issue is that there are a lack of resources at Sun to
make the licenses consistent.  All the JAXP RI 1.2.0 code comes from the
Apache site though so will be Apache license compatible.  I am not a
legal expert though.

-Edwin

Re: New JAXP FAQ

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Oh,

How nice. From the "Java API for XML Processing RI 1.2.0-FCS -- Readme",
one can read:
> Software Licenses
> The software under the package hierarchies beginning with org.w3c.dom
> is covered by the W3C Software License. All of the remaining software
> in this distribution is covered by the Apache Software Foundation
> License.

Does this mean that the classes like
javax/xml/parsers/DocumentBuilderFactory are under Apache license ?
I see no quote that would contradict me but... the java xml pack
Summer'02 has  strongly different license to which you have to agree
before downloading it, among others:

> 7. Source Code. Software may contain source code that is provided
> solely for reference purposes pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.
> Source code may not be redistributed unless expressly provided for in
> this Agreement.

Can we hope to have a coherence at some point with these JAXP licenses ?
This has been hanging around since way too much time, I feel. Or is it
simply a JCP internal debate left ?

Thanks.