Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ronald Bourret <rp...@hotmail.com> on 2000/06/13 13:39:20 UTC

BUG: StringIndexOutOfBoundsException

Namespaces and entity references don't seem to like each other. In
particular, the following code returns a StringIndexOutOfBoundsException. If
I remove the call to set the namespaces feature to true, or if I remove the
entity reference from the XML document, the exception is not thrown.

-- Ron Bourret

============================
Code:

import java.io.File;
import org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser;
import org.xml.sax.InputSource;
import org.w3c.dom.Document;

public class TestXerces2
{
   public static void main (String[] argv) throws Exception
   {
      String    xmlFilename = argv[0];
      DOMParser parser = new DOMParser();
      parser.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/namespaces", true);

      // Parse the input file
      parser.parse(new InputSource(getFileURL(xmlFilename)));
   }

   static String getFileURL(String fileName)
   {
      File   file;
      String path, separator;

      file = new File(fileName);
      return "file:///" + file.getAbsolutePath();
   }
}

XML Document:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE A [
   <!ENTITY foo '<B/>'>
]>
<A>&foo;</A>

Output:

C:>java TestXerces2 tx2.xml
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String
index out of range: -1
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:834)
        at TestXerces2.main(TestXerces2.java:18)

C:>

Re: BUG: StringIndexOutOfBoundsException

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Ronald Bourret wrote:
> Namespaces and entity references don't seem to like each other. In
> particular, the following code returns a StringIndexOutOfBoundsException. If
> I remove the call to set the namespaces feature to true, or if I remove the
> entity reference from the XML document, the exception is not thrown.

Thanks for the excellent bug report. It is now fixed and is
available in CVS.

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org