Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nissim Karpenstein <Ni...@HIVE4.com> on 2000/08/23 17:56:32 UTC

Restarting tomcat which is not responding

I need some help debugging a script I wrote which will restart tomcat when
it stops responding.  I have a ping servlet (which I found on  the JServ
list I think) that returns I AM ALIVE.  The script I use is run from cron
like this:

*/5 * * * * /usr/local/tomcat/bin/watchdog.sh

It kills the processes, but they are not restarted...please help...here is
the script:

#!/bin/bash

PROBLEM=""

#check if the production tomcat is running
PINGOK=`wget -q -O - http://theServer/contact/servlet/ping | grep -c "I AM
ALIVE"`
if [ "$PINGOK" -eq 0 ]; then
  echo `date`: Production url not responding >>
/usr/local/tomcat/logs/watchdog.log
  PROBLEM="true";
fi

#check if the development tomcat is running
PINGOK=`wget -q -O - http://theServer/dev_contact/servlet/ping | grep -c "I
AM ALIVE"`
if [ "$PINGOK" -eq 0 ]; then
  echo `date`: Development url not responding >>
/usr/local/tomcat/logs/watchdog.log
  PROBLEM="true";
fi

if [ -n "$PROBLEM" ]; then
  echo `date`: Watchdog script restarting tomcat >>
/usr/local/tomcat/logs/watchdog.log
  kill -9 `ps ax|grep java\ \-Dtomcat|awk '{ print $1 }'`
  /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
  /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh -f /usr/local/tomcat/conf/dev_server.xml
fi

Re: Restarting tomcat which is not responding

Posted by kevin <ke...@netimage.com.tw>.
Maybe the problem is that you are not starting tomcat as a daemon,
the process exists when watchdog.sh finishes.

Try "nohup /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh"

Posted by Matt Goss <mg...@rtci.com>.
Nissim,
have you tried using the ./shutdown.sh command instead of the kill command?
Matt