Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2002/03/12 20:37:52 UTC

Re: XML Pipeline Definition Language / Cocoon2.

Thanks Dims for the pointer!

I quickly glanced at the implementation and it appears they transform
the XML pipeline definition into an Ant file. Just as I guessed by
looking at the language specification ;-)

By looking at the implementation, it appears that the way the
components are connected together in a pipeline is through Input and
Output objects. Through the interface of these classes you can obtain
either Java input/output streams or Java Objects that contain the
whole input to be processed or processed output. This is very
different from what Cocoon uses internally, which is a stream of SAX
events.

I don't know whether the Sun implementation can be modified to use SAX
internally, but it may be more difficult to compute dependencies
between processing steps when the resources are not fully
available. This problem is probably not easy to solve, but I may be
wrong.

I don't know what would be the value of this implementation to
Cocoon. Probably the XML pipeline language may have some value, but I
don't see it as a huge improvement over Cocoon's current sitemap
definition language.

Greetings,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>