Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian Braun <ja...@gmail.com> on 2024/02/15 15:04:11 UTC

Re: Tomcat/Java starts using too much memory and not by the heap or non-heap memory

Hello,

It has been a long time since I received the last suggestions to my issue
here on this support list. Since then I decided to stop asking for help and
to "do my homework". To read, to watch YouTube presentations, to spend time
on StackOverflow, etc. So I have spent a lot of time on this and I think I
have learned a lot which is nice.
This is what I have learned lately:

I definitely don't have a leak in my code (or in the libraries I am using,
as far as I understand). And my code is not creating a significant amount
of objects that would use too much memory.
The heap memory (the 3 G1s) and non-heap memory (3 CodeHeaps + compressed
class space + metaspace) together use just using a few hundred MBs and
their usage is steady and normal.
I discovered the JCMD command to perform the native memory tracking. When
running it, after 3-4 days since I started Tomcat, I found out that the
compiler was using hundreds of MB and that is exactly why the Tomcat
process starts abusing the memory! This is what I saw when executing "sudo
jcmd <TomcatProcessID> VM.native_memory scale=MB":

Compiler (reserved=3D340MB, commited=3D340MB)
(arena=3D340MB #10)

All the other categories (Class, Thread, Code, GC, Internal, Symbol, etc)
look normal since they use a low amount of memory and they don't grow.

Then I discovered the Jemalloc tool (http://jemalloc.net) and its jeprof
tool, so I started launching Tomcat using it. Then, after 3-4 days after
Tomcat starts I was able to create some GIF images from the dumps that
Jemalloc creates. The GIF files show the problem: 75-90% of the memory is
being used by some weird activity in the compiler! It seems that something
called "The C2 compile/JIT compiler" starts doing something after 3-4 days,
and that creates the leak. Why after 3-4 days and not sooner? I don't know.
I am attaching the GIF in this email.

Does anybody know how to deal with this? I have been struggling with this
issue already for 3 months. At least now I know that this is a native
memory leak, but at this point I feel lost.

By the way, I'm running my website using Tomcat 9.0.58, Java
"11.0.21+9-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu122.04", Ubuntu 22.04.03. And I am developing
using Eclipse and compiling my WAR file with a "Compiler compliance
level:11".

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Re: TOMCAT CERTIFICATE RENEWAL

Posted by "bigelytechnology@yahoo.com" <da...@gmail.com>.
 Hello Dear
Thanks for your reply
l would use this opportunity to briefly introduce our company, Bigly
Technologies Thailand,  We are one of the leading importers in Asia , and
the Middle East on general Goods and Equipment.
On behalf of Bigly Technologies Thailand, this is the samples of the
product that we want develop.
Please Kindly view our website for the samples and the product we need if
your company can
make the similar like this product.
*E-Catalogue:  *https://biglytechcatalog.es.tl

Please quote us your best prices and the cost of delivery to our port and
if the prices meets our
price target we can place our order as soon as possible.
Thank You!

Best Regards

*Wat Namtip*

Purchase Manager

*Bigly Technologies Thailand*

2/51 BangNa Complex Office Tower, 11th Floor, Soi BangNa Trat 25, Bangna
Nua, Bangna, Bangkok 10260 Thailand

Telephone: +66 (0)2150 10 15

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Chuck and Brian,

Posted by Chuck Caldarale <n8...@gmail.com>.
> On Feb 15, 2024, at 09:04, Brian Braun <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I discovered the JCMD command to perform the native memory tracking. When
> running it, after 3-4 days since I started Tomcat, I found out that the
> compiler was using hundreds of MB and that is exactly why the Tomcat
> process starts abusing the memory! This is what I saw when executing "sudo jcmd <TomcatProcessID> VM.native_memory scale=MB":
>
> Compiler (reserved=3D340MB, commited=3D340MB)
> (arena=3D340MB #10)
>
> Then I discovered the Jemalloc tool (http://jemalloc.net <http://jemalloc.net/>) and its jeprof
> tool, so I started launching Tomcat using it. Then, after 3-4 days after
> Tomcat starts I was able to create some GIF images from the dumps that
> Jemalloc creates. The GIF files show the problem: 75-90% of the memory is
> being used by some weird activity in the compiler! It seems that something
> called "The C2 compile/JIT compiler" starts doing something after 3-4 days,
> and that creates the leak. Why after 3-4 days and not sooner? I don't know.

There have been numerous bugs filed with OpenJDK for C2 memory leaks over the past few years, mostly related to recompiling certain methods. The C2 compiler kicks in when fully optimizing methods, and it may recompile methods after internal instrumentation shows that additional performance can be obtained by doing so.

> I am attaching the GIF in this email.

Attachments are stripped on this mailing list.

> Does anybody know how to deal with this?

You could disable the C2 compiler temporarily, and just let C1 handle your code. Performance will be somewhat degraded, but may well still be acceptable. Add the following to the JVM options when you launch Tomcat:

-XX:TieredStopAtLevel=1

> By the way, I'm running my website using Tomcat 9.0.58, Java
> "11.0.21+9-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu122.04", Ubuntu 22.04.03. And I am developing
> using Eclipse and compiling my WAR file with a "Compiler compliance
> level:11".

You could try a more recent JVM version; JDK 11 was first released over 5 years ago, although it is still being maintained.

  - Chuck