Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/07 00:04:49 UTC

Re : Dependencies and how it's going to affect the release

Hi All,

AFAIK when we release we will have to package some of the dependcies with
our binary distribution.
When we do this we need to make sure we supply the license.txt's for those
dependencies.

Currently we have static dependencies in our lib files scattered over the
project.
So we need to think about them.

For example the jms.jar. Now where did this come from?? where is the license
associated with this?
Usually in apache we use the geronimo spec project to get the API's, so we
can use that for JMS.

If I dependencies keeps growing then that will make things even more
diffficult to manage, especially at distribtuion/release time.

Maybe it's time to get things a bit more organized and move to a maven
structure where some of these headache are taken care of.

Regards,

Rajith

Re: Re : Dependencies and how it's going to affect the release

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi All,

I just wanted to highlight a couple of points about M1, and my view of why
we're doing it now.

The key motivator for M1 is that we have users out there who have deployed
onto Qpid (Java). For that reason alone, we need to get an M1 of the java
broker/client out to support them going forward - before the major M2
changes planned.

In terms of dependencies - we should not be releasing the tests are part of
a release distribution imho. Seems like omeone has erroneously committed a
build script with tests included so we can switch this off and make things
simpler.

I don't think we can wait for maven - I know Steve has been working hard on
it, but unless it is realistically going to be complete by code freeze (i.e.
tonight) we'll have to get by without it until M2. We've also got a lot of
coding to complete (see the list of M2 JIRAs) and need to focus our
collective effort carefully so that the project moves forward as well as
possible.

Rajith - have you managed to pull a list of tasks together yet please ? We
could add the liencese item to the list and get it resolved for the release.
I don't think we have any major obstacles to M1, though I can see we might
have items to create JIRAs for and progress separately to make future
releases easier.

I'm happy to help out with all release tasks to help us get M1 out, annoying
or otherwise. I think it's really important that we get it released as soon
as we can.

Bfn,
Marnie

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

> The sun fscontext is fine to include from Sun's point of view:
> " Sun grants you a non-exclusive,
>    non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and
>    distribute the Software in binary form only,
>    provided that you (i) distribute the Software
>    complete and unmodified and only bundled as part
>    of your Programs, "
>
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId
>=7110-jndi-1.2.1-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg
>
> We may not have the source to include under the ASF license but we can
> include the binary.
>
> Are we not allowed to include non ASF-licensed(or equally permissive)
> software in our release, be that source or binary format?

Martin,

Cliff has a draft page of license "information" at:
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

Of note is that the Sun BCL license (that you are quoting from) is
explicitly listed in the section of "excluded" licenses.   Thus, you
cannot distribute it with Apache software.

I think the problem with the BCL license is the indemnification clauses.
Not sure though.  IANAL

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Dependencies and how it's going to affect the release

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> +1 to maven as well..   :-)
>
> There is also the jbossall-client.jar in the source tree.   I believe that
> is LGPL or part LGPL, also not allowed as part of a distribution at
> apache.

I understand that we may have these licenses in the tool chain or test
suite, but they can't be
included in any source or binary distribution.
> I've been chatting with the Maven folks today about the LICENSE/NOTICE
> issues.   As of November 1, all apache projects have to have those files,
> including Maven releases.   Thus, they now have extra incentive to get
> that working smoothly.  :-)
>
> Seriously,  they are writing a plugin that will use the <license> tags
> from the maven poms to automatically build up the notice files and such.
> Should make things much easier to manage.

Please let us know when this works...

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

We can only include ASF compatible licenses (and thats decided by Apache
Legal).
I am sure the sun license are not covered.
If you are not sure, you can talk to Cliff as he handles legal stuff.

If we submit with this one we are going to have a time with the incubator
PMC.
I suggest we clean up and work on the dependencies.

Regards,

Rajith

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
+1 to maven as well..   :-)

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
We can confirm from Cliff, but AFIK we need to include license.txt for all
jars.
I guess Dan just mentioned that on the list.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
We don't need to hand write code.
The Geronimo spec project allready has done that.

We can use the following release by them
        <dependency>
            <groupId>geronimo-spec</groupId>
            <artifactId>geronimo-spec-jms</artifactId>
            <version>1.1-rc4</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>

As john points out we need to follow the legal stuff righ to the dot.

Rajith

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: Dependencies and how it's going to affect the release

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
On Tuesday November 07 2006 3:58 am, Robert Greig wrote:
> On 06/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
> > +1 to maven, which I've been working on for awhile. So far in doing
> > the maven work I've been surprised by both 1) the number of
> > dependencies, which is much higher than I expected, and 2) the
> > dependencies which aren't really legal. The JMS jar is one.
>
> Here is the redistribution clause from the licence for JMS.jar:
>
> 2. License to Distribute Software.  In addition to
>    the license granted in Section 1 (Software
>    Internal Use and Development License Grant) of
>    these Supplemental Terms, subject to the terms and
>    conditions of this Agreement, including but not
>    limited to Section 3 (Java Technology
>    Restrictions), Sun grants you a non-exclusive,
>    non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and
>    distribute the Software in binary form only,
>    provided that you (i) distribute the Software
>    complete and unmodified and only bundled as part
>    of your Programs, (ii) do not distribute
>    additional software intended to replace any
>    component(s) of the Software, (iii) do not remove
>    or alter any proprietary legends or notices
>    contained in the Software, (iv) only distribute
>    the Software subject to a license agreement that
>    protects Sun's interests consistent with the terms
>    contained in this Agreement, and (v) agree to
>    defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
>    and against any damages, costs, liabilities,
>    settlement amounts and/or expenses (including
>    attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any
>    claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that
>    arises or results from the use or distribution of
>    any and all Programs and/or Software.
>
> Does the Apache licence violate (iv)?
>
> RG

Yes.   That's the Sun BCL license.   Explicitly not allowed:

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.