Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/17 12:31:27 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Move appserver component to OFBiz Attic

*Rationale:*
Back in the day (pre r11.x) we enabled users to have OFBiz working in
external web containers, like Apache Tomcat, IBM Websphere and Jetty.
However, focus of the community migrated away from that and improved the
use of the internally used servlet solution (also Apache Tomcat).
Since then the functionality of the component to have OFBiz work with these
external web containers stopped working and in recent years no contributor
felt the itch to correct/improve this situation.

I therefor propose:

   - that we move the component from trunk to our attic, and
   - we don't include it in future releases (including the upcoming r14.x
   branch release r14.12.01)

For this proposal the normal 72 hour rule applies.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move appserver component to OFBiz Attic

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
*Correction on previous posting:*
adding vote of Deepak in the result.

Hi all,

Thanks for the votes.

This proposal passed, according to following results:

   - Binding: 5 positive (+1) votes (Adrian, Jacopo, Deepak, Jacques and
   Nicolas), 0 negative (-1) votes, 0 neutral (+0) votes
   - Non-Binding: 2 positive (+1) votes (Michael, Rishi), 0 negative (-1)
   votes, 0 neutral (+0) votes

I will create an appropriate JIRA issue to track progress moving the
special purpose/appserver component from trunk to attic. This will enable
us to include it in release notes.

Following comments/suggestion were made:

   - Discuss whether we should reengineer OFBiz so that it is easier to
   deploy in other application servers (by Adrian)

Please start a new dev ml thread to discuss that, or start a wish or new
feature issue in JIRA to track questions, comments and/or suggestions there.

Thank you for your participation.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for the votes.

This proposal passed, according to following results:

   - Binding: 4 positive (+1) votes (Adrian, Jacopo, Jacques and Nicolas),

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
+1 also

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Pierre

Looking forward

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
I would like to add that this vote is about moving the specialpurpose/appserver component to attic: the component was intended to create the configuration scripts for the deployment on application servers; as Pierre mentioned, this approach doesn't work anymore unless you use very old and discontinued OFBiz versions (pre 2011).
The effort of enabling OFBiz to be deployed on external application server is still valuable and should, in my opinion, a goal for the community, but this appserver component is no more the way to implement this and so it can be moved to attic.

So my vote is:

+1

Jacopo

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Best Regards,

--
Rishi Solanki
Manager, Enterprise Software Development

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
+1

And I also agree with Adrian.

Thanks & Regards
—

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Indeed

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
+1

And I agree with Adrian: it would be a win for OFBiz if it could be
deployed in various application servers easily. It could increase the
acceptance bei companies who have a restrictive policy for their system
landscape or simply have the know-how for other appliaction servers and
don't like to add a new one.

Michael Brohl
ecomify.de