Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <rj...@apache.org> on 2006/12/06 23:26:42 UTC

mod_jk release preparation: ready for test

Hi,

I think Mladen and I completed our code change plans for the next
release of mod_jk. Since over all we had more changes than we expected
when we started for 1.2.20 I would like to give the opportunity of
testing, before I do the tagging. In case no show stoppers will be found
I suggest tagging late saturday, or early sunday, so that we can finish
the release vote during the next week.

I produced a source tarball with the usual release script. It contains
everything similar to a release except for the final version number and
the correct release dates in the release docs.

You can find it under:

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-1.2.20-dev/

There is a directory docs containing the reorganized and slightly
extended docs, a directory source containing the .tar.gz, .zip, the
signature and checksum files and finally an empty directory binaries,
which might be filled tomorrow by Mladen with Windows build(s).

I would really appreciate, if some of our long term mod_jk experts could
have a look at it.

Major changes:

- improved IIS 6 support (e.g. shm, thread counts
- improved virtual host support for apache, also documented
- reworked status worker (see new docs page)
- reorganized docs, new pages for uriworkermap.properties and status worker

Minor features:

- fail_on_status attribute
- rename jvm_route -> route (but code still works with old config)
- uriworkermap reload interval configurable
- max_packet_size documented
- new uriworkermap reload semantics (delete old uriworkermap entries
from internal list during reload)
- load balancer strategy "Sessions"
- more flushing options

BZ fixes:

- 36121: Don't change main uri when mod_jk serves included uri. (markt)
- 40966: Fix socket descriptor checks on windows. (mturk)
- 40965: Initialize missing service parameters. (mturk)
- 40938: Fix releasing of rewrite map. Thanks to Chris Adams for
spotting that. (mturk)
- 40856: Fixing case sensitivity bug in URL mapping. (rjung)
- 40793: Documentation: Improvements to Apache HowTo provided by Paul
Charles Leddy. (markt)
- 40774: Fixing wrong recursion termination. This one restricted the
"reference" feature unintentionally to 20 workers. (rjung)
- 40716: Adding "reference" feature to IIS and Netscape. (rjung)

Have fun,

Rainer

Re: mod_jk release preparation: ready for test

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Good explanation since I wondering why the jkstatus didn't see my
JKMount directive.

In my case the jkstatus is defined in the httpd.conf (common) and the
JKMounts in all VHost.

It's a very common configuration since Web admins don't want to
redifine a jkstatus for each vhost.

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 12/16/06, Rainer Jung <rj...@apache.org> wrote:
> Important: maps are associated to virtual hosts in apache. The status
> worker can only see those maps, that belong to the same virtual host, it
> has been called in. So if you add all your maps to a vhost for
> production use, and add a status worker on a separate vhost for admin
> use, this status worker will not be able to see the maps from the
> production vhost. If you want to inhertif maps from the global server to
> vhosts, you need to set JkMountCopy for the vhost. More about that in
> the updated Apache docs page (reference guide) and the new
> uriworkermap.properties page.
>
> Could that be the reason for the message?

As Henri mentioned, that appears to be exactly why I am seeing that
message, I was not using the same virtual host to view the jkstatus
page as the JkMount directives are issued.

-Dave

Re: mod_jk release preparation: ready for test

Posted by Rainer Jung <rj...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> it's a seems to be a tomcat-native (1.1.7) problem
>
> And since we discuss Tomcat 6.0.4 release, should we consider that
> error as a show stopper ?

No. It works quite fine on Solaris and RHEL, as well on HP-UX
and Windows. I simply cannot reproduce this problem.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: mod_jk release preparation: ready for test

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
It may be the native side who drop some bytes under some circumstances
(need more expertise about Java / Native link).

It will be usefull to get the Socket.sendbb() return code for further study.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

From Henri's logs, what happened is that mod_jk didn't see 0x4142 as the

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Remy what about loging this error code ?

I suspect something not directly related to an error and having the
error code will be valuable.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
it works well even when your servlet is pushing PDF data ?

Did a tcpdump/ethereal could help you ?

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
In which project / class ?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> it's a seems to be a tomcat-native (1.1.7) problem
>
> And since we discuss Tomcat 6.0.4 release, should we consider that
> error as a show stopper ?

No. It existed before, and it is not known if it's a problem with the
Java code or not.

What I see is that there's an IO exception here, so it means the send
call returned a status error (or maybe it returned one of these
mysterious codes which are an error but are not actually an error):
     protected void flush()
         throws IOException {
         if (outputBuffer.position() > 0) {
             if (Socket.sendbb(socket, 0, outputBuffer.position()) < 0) {
 >>                throw new IOException();
             }
             outputBuffer.clear();
         }
     }

Rémy

Re: mod_jk release preparation: ready for test

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Used :

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
FYI, when I disable use of Apr, the problem disappears.

My configuration is using, apr 1.2.7, libtcnative 1.1.7 and Tomcat 6.0.2

Question :

In Apr mode, what send to Java signal which trigg the ClientAbortException ?

Regards

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
There is still a serious problem in jk 1.2.20 when flushing some large
file (ie: PDF).

here is the dump :

file to be sent is 162748 long, iosize=8192
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=8192
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=16384
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=24576
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=32768
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=40960
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=49152
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=57344
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=65536
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=73728
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=81920
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=90112
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=98304
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=106496
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=114688
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=122880
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=131072
lReadLen=8192
lSentLen=139264
lReadLen=8192
stackTrace is ClientAbortException:  java.io.IOException
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:357)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:434)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.append(ByteChunk.java:349)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.writeBytes(OutputBuffer.java:380)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.write(OutputBuffer.java:369)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteOutputStream.write(CoyoteOutputStream.java:89)

On the jk side :

[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 0360    33 33
20 32 35 30 20 32 37 38 20 0D 35 30 30 20  - 33.250.278..500.
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 0370    35 30
30 20 35 30 30 20 35 30 30 20 35 30 30 20  - 500.500.500.500.
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 0380    35 30
30 20 35 30 30 20 35 30 30 20 35 30 30 20  - 500.500.500.500.
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 0390    35 30
30 20 33 33 33 20 33 33 33 20 36 37 35 20  - 500.333.333.675.
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 03a0    36 37
35 20 36 37 35 20 35 30 30 20 0D 39 32 30  - 675.675.500..920
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 03b0    20 36
31 31 20 36 31 31 20 36 36 37 20 37 32 32  - .611.611.667.722
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 03c0    20 36
31 31 20 36 31 31 20 37 32 32 20 37 32 32  - .611.611.722.722
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 03d0    20 33
33 33 20 34 34 34 20 36 36 37 20 35 35 36  - .333.444.667.556
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 03e0    20 38
33 33 20 36 36 37 20 37 32 32 20 0D 36 31  - .833.667.722..61
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1029): 03f0    31 20
37 32 32 20 36 31 31 20 35 30 30 20 35 35  - 1.722.611.500.55
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug] ws_write::mod_jk.c
(436): written 7252 out of 7252
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [error]
ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (970): wrong message
format 0x200d from 172.31.3.202:18093
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [error]
ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (1592): (w809) Tomcat is down or
network problems. Part of the response has already been sent to the
client
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [info]
ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1877): (w809) receiving from tomcat
failed, recoverable operation attempt=1
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [info]
ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1916): (w809) sending request to tomcat
failed,  recoverable operation attempt=2
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [error]
ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1928): (w809) Connecting to tomcat
failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong
port
[Thu Dec 07 11:50:19 2006] [28806:3264] [debug]
ajp_done::jk_ajp_common.c (2258): recycling connection pool slot=0 for
worker w809

I send block of 8k, could it be the problem ?

Also I'm using AjpApr

Regards

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.