Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Sean Cooper <se...@apache.org> on 2012/05/30 16:10:48 UTC

Team Pages

Is anyone currently working on team pages, or working on defining a
structure for it?

I'd like to take a crack at defining it this week, but I don't want to
interrupt anyone that might already be working on the problem.

-Sean

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
On 30 May 2012 16:35, Sean Cooper <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On 30 May 2012 16:10, Sean Cooper <se...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone currently working on team pages, or working on defining a
> >> structure for it?
> >>
> >> I'd like to take a crack at defining it this week, but I don't want to
> >> interrupt anyone that might already be working on the problem.
> >>
> >> -Sean
> >>

> > I am planning to work on it, but it's not clear yet when. So if you want
> > start, go ahead :) What I need is a concept of a page that is shared
> with a
> > group of users, but the users cannot edit the page, only the
> administrator
> > of the page. See also [1]
>
> I was looking through the code and saw what appears to be some
> additions into the main page controller for share pages... but that
> doesn't fully cover my use case.  -   same as yours but shared with
> everyone, not just a group of users.
>
> I think we should have a separate controller for these pages to keep
> the page controller as simple as possible.  In my use cases I'm going
> to have a few hundred pages that everyone can read but only the
> administrator(s) will have access to update.
>
> I think we can recycle the methodology for sharing a page with a group
> of people that is used in the shared page model, but I'm going to have
> to add a flag for world-read-only instead of supplying a group for
> read access.  If we build in the support for world-read-only then this
> would also cover the idea of public pages.

In my case I don't need a "world-read-only", but at most an
"any-authenticated-user-read-only", but probably more
"all-students-read-only". The first would also need an exception in the
Spring security configuration.
I like the idea of separating it from the existing page controller to keep
it readable and modular.

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Sean Cooper <se...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Scott Wilson
<sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 May 2012, at 15:35, Sean Cooper wrote:

>>> I am planning to work on it, but it's not clear yet when. So if you want to
>>> start, go ahead :) What I need is a concept of a page that is shared with a
>>> group of users, but the users cannot edit the page, only the administrator
>>> of the page. See also [1]
>>
>> I was looking through the code and saw what appears to be some
>> additions into the main page controller for share pages... but that
>> doesn't fully cover my use case.  -   same as yours but shared with
>> everyone, not just a group of users.
>>
>> I think we should have a separate controller for these pages to keep
>> the page controller as simple as possible.  In my use cases I'm going
>> to have a few hundred pages that everyone can read but only the
>> administrator(s) will have access to update.
>>
>> I think we can recycle the methodology for sharing a page with a group
>> of people that is used in the shared page model, but I'm going to have
>> to add a flag for world-read-only instead of supplying a group for
>> read access.  If we build in the support for world-read-only then this
>> would also cover the idea of public pages.
>
> Could "everyone" be a kind of magic group?

That's why I was thinking of using a flag..  I don't think we have
'groups' defined really... it is more like a giant list of people who
have been granted access to the page.  If we want to add the concept
of groups in then we need to add in a way to do group management and
specify groups for access it the UI.

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Sean Cooper <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 05/30/2012 11:10 PM, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
> On 30 May 2012 22:16, Sean Cooper<se...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Sharples<p....@bolton.ac.uk>
>> wrote:

>> ]

>> http://www.senderscorecertified.com>

>> http://www.senderscorecertified.com>

I agree here with Jasha.

But for me more important is the question how we (Rave developers) deal with
optionality or configuration of such functionalities.

Which user actions are allowed under which circumstances and by whom is a very
fundamental question and something IMO Rave should provide a quite flexible and
pluggable solution for. No matter what specific choice would be made for this
use-case, someone else will have a conflicting or different need for it.

My take on these things typically is: if practically doable these things should
be made configurable and/or optional. That isn't the easy way out of course and
requires more effort and thinking upfront for the developers, but in the end
will pay off many times over. And not just for the others.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this need or should be done for every possible
feature, that would make this project a drag and is impractical anyway.

But be wary for features and behaviors, especially those related to UI and user
interaction, which you can easily recognize as needing *your* specific use-case
requirements to fulfill.
Good chance someone else then will come up with conflicting requirements or
alternative solutions :)

Ate

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Sean Cooper <se...@apache.org>.

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
On 30 May 2012 20:41, Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 30/05/2012 19:18, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
>
>> On 30 May 2012 19:11, Paul Sharples<p....@bolton.ac.uk>>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  On 30/05/2012 16:52, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
>>>
>>>  On 30 May 2012 17:44, Paul Sharples<p.sharples@bolton.ac.****uk<

Yes you were consistent here :) Maybe some other time we can decide about
this.

> The reason I didn't grey out the "Edit preferences" was so that you can
> change something in your session, but it will not be persisted and so will
> revert back to the perisisted state when you log in again.  This is similar
> to how the minimize/maximize widget now works for a non editing user.  This
> was an assumption and could be completely locked down instead.

Fair enough

Re: Team Pages

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Re: Team Pages