Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ashwin Jayaprakash <as...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/28 03:14:03 UTC

AMD's new Aparapi (A PARallel API) - GPU for Java programs

This might be of interest to some folks here: AMD's new Aparapi (A PARallel
API) , an API that allows programmers to write logic in Java to be executed
on a GPU.

Article:  http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/09/aparapi-java-and-gpus
http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/09/aparapi-java-and-gpus

Re: Re : AMD's new Aparapi (A PARallel API) - GPU for Java programs

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
The problem with co-processor-based programming  (graphics, sound,
network protocol) is that it takes a lot of time to get data in and
out of the co-processor. It only works well when you have a lot of
processing to do on the same dataset. And a dataset that fits (along
with intermediate products) in the co-processor card's memory.

Gaming has this use case: you download relatively small amounts of 3D
data and the card repetitively walks it and regenerates the screen. It
(I assume) does not upload much processed data.

Even cooler is the Python thing that reads Python byte-codes and gets
compiled code onto the card.

Lance

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re : AMD's new Aparapi (A PARallel API) - GPU for Java programs

Posted by deneche abdelhakim <a_...@yahoo.fr>.
Cool! thanks for the link =D