Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by js...@odshp.com on 2000/12/07 23:33:26 UTC

Question...

Hi,

I only discovered Tomcat a couple weeks ago but I must say I'm pretty
excited about it - nice piece of work.  I'm running apache and Tomcat
on a Caldera Linux install.  I've got a simple question.

Can Tomcat do a simple server-side include, or is that better left to
Apache?

Basicly, I discovered that the Apache I've got at the moment doesn't
seem to want to do a server-side include, so rather than start
re-building it, I began to wonder if this is something Tomcat is
intended to handle.  If Tomcat is intended to handle a simple
server-side include, how is this configured?

Thanks!

---
Jeff Sexton
ODS Health Plans
jsexton@odshp.com

Re: Question...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
jsexton@odshp.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I only discovered Tomcat a couple weeks ago but I must say I'm pretty
> excited about it - nice piece of work.  I'm running apache and Tomcat
> on a Caldera Linux install.  I've got a simple question.
>
> Can Tomcat do a simple server-side include, or is that better left to
> Apache?

Tomcat does not currently have any support for server-side-include processing,
although it would not be difficult to write a servlet to provide this.  You can
get a head start with the Apache JSSI project at <http://java.apache.org>, which
does this but works only on a Servlet API 2.0 environment like Apache JServ.

> Basicly, I discovered that the Apache I've got at the moment doesn't
> seem to want to do a server-side include, so rather than start
> re-building it, I began to wonder if this is something Tomcat is
> intended to handle.  If Tomcat is intended to handle a simple
> server-side include, how is this configured?

Tomcat is open source ... volunteers and contributions gratefully accepted !

> Thanks!
>
> ---
> Jeff Sexton
> ODS Health Plans
> jsexton@odshp.com

Craig McClanahan

Re: Question...

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Tod Thomas wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> I think that SSI is compiled into Apache by default, to enable it you
> should only need to uncomment the appropriate AddHandler directive in
> httpd.conf.  Do an ./httpd -l and look for mod_include.c.  My
> understanding is that using JSP's providea better performance though :)

Hmm, I don't know about that. I did a quick test with JMeter on the files
containing:

<!--#include virtual="foo.html" -->

and

<jsp:include page="foo.html" flush="true"/>

The Apache SSI took around 10ms to serve, whereas the JSP include took
~150ms. I'm using Tomcat3.2-final, Apache 1.3.14, AJP1.2, 48mb RAM, not
using XBitHack. Highly inaccurate results (eg, I realised halfway that
playing MP3s wasn't helping performance;), but I think the trend was clear
enough.

--Jeff

Re: Question...

Posted by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com>.