Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/06 21:59:04 UTC

[Math] MathIllegalStateException Description

Hi,

I'm reading through some of the code in the exception package and noticed the following description for MathIllegalStateException:

  * Base class for all exceptions that signal a mismatch between the
  * current state and the user's expectations.

I'm curious as to whether it should be:

  * Base class for all exceptions that signal that the mathematical process
  * is in a state that does not comply with the set of states that it is designed to be in.

Fairly trivial, but maybe this will give me a chance to practice sending another pull request :).

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: [Math] MathIllegalStateException Description

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
[...]
>>  * Base class for all exceptions that signal that the process
>> throwing the exception
>>  * is in a state that does not comply with the set of states that it
>> is designed to be in.
>>
>> The only part I thought was a bit odd is the 'user's expectations' part.
>
> Fine, that may be a slight improvement. ;-)

OK - Just sent the pull request.  Come on Gilles you know this is going to be huge :).

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 08:02:00 -0500, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> On 10/07/2014 06:23 AM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 14:59:04 -0500, Ole Ersoy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm reading through some of the code in the exception package and
>>> noticed the following description for MathIllegalStateException:
>>>
>>>  * Base class for all exceptions that signal a mismatch between the
>>>  * current state and the user's expectations.
>>>
>>> I'm curious as to whether it should be:
>>>
>>>  * Base class for all exceptions that signal that the process
>>> throwing the exception
>>>  * is in a state that does not comply with the set of states that
>>> it is designed to be in.
>>
>> The exception may be used in circumstances where no "mathematical
>> process" is involved; it might just signal an simple inconsistency.
>> The prefix "Math" refers to the exception being a Commons Math one,
>> rather than to some math-related error.
>
> What do you think about:
>
>  * Base class for all exceptions that signal that the process
> throwing the exception
>  * is in a state that does not comply with the set of states that it
> is designed to be in.
>
> The only part I thought was a bit odd is the 'user's expectations'
> part.

Fine, that may be a slight improvement. ;-)

Gilles

Re: [Math] MathIllegalStateException Description

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gilles,

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 14:59:04 -0500, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm reading through some of the code in the exception package and
> noticed the following description for MathIllegalStateException:
>
>  * Base class for all exceptions that signal a mismatch between the
>  * current state and the user's expectations.
>
> I'm curious as to whether it should be:
>
>  * Base class for all exceptions that signal that the mathematical
> process
>  * is in a state that does not comply with the set of states that it
> is designed to be in.

The exception may be used in circumstances where no "mathematical
process" is involved; it might just signal an simple inconsistency.
The prefix "Math" refers to the exception being a Commons Math one,
rather than to some math-related error.

Best,
Gilles