Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org> on 2011/07/26 14:09:48 UTC

Maven eclipse plugin

Hey Maven developers,
I would ask about maven-eclipse plugin. Seems that source code activity is going down. Latest commit in github mirror of maven plugins (and svn repository) which changes anything in plugins goals is dated to November 01,  2010. It means that during last 9 moths there was no fixes in trunk. I am already ASF commiter and I would like help you with this plugin in part time to minimize number of pending issues. For example I've reported an issue in 2009 and provided patch. Issue wasn't commented and it wasn't revieved. Any ideas how to bring eclipse plugin to life again?

Best regards,
Lukasz Dywicki

Re: Maven eclipse plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
OK,

1. I do not use eclipse... my fingers have learned IntelliJ IDEA, and I am
not switching if I can help it, so these are just general recommendations.

2. Did you patch include tests. Ideally the tests should fail until the rest
of your patch is applied and pass thereafter.

3. Once your patch has tests, then try pinging the dev list with a subject
like "[MECLIPSE-___] I have submitted a patch WITH test cases... any
takers???" Give a good 2 weeks before replying on that mail as some of the
plugins can be a bit laggard in having their maintainers chime in.

4. If step 3 still gave you no joy, do a svn log of the plugin an see who
the >80-90% of commits was, or the last committer to make a release of the
plugin... DO NOT mail them directly, instead, reply to the mail in step 3,
asking them specifically if they feel like commenting. Do not add them as a
CC, they are on the mailing list already, you are just trying to _gently_
ping them into a response... You could also try pinging them on the
#maven-dev channel on IRC if you spot them. PING them in public. something
like "@mrdeveloper I've attached a patch with test cases to MECLIPSE-___
what are the chances of you reviewing and applying the patch and when might
there be a release cut?"

5. Wait... reviving the mail thread from #3 each about once a month. DO NOT
start a new mail thread, just reply to your old one.

Usually getting to step 3 will get your fix committed.

Re: Maven eclipse plugin

Posted by Lukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey guys,
I really don't have problem with lack of commit access to maven repository.
I know how ASF work and I don't expect write access to your repository at
early stage of cooperation. :) I can do patches on my github fork and let
you cherry-picking changes instead of merging them from svn branch. It will
be easier for both sides.

Best regards,
Lukasz

Re: Maven eclipse plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
He could just fork it into the sandbox, and apply the changes there and get
you to merge them back.

All ASF committers have write access to our sandbox.

Re: Maven eclipse plugin

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.