Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Romain Gilles <ro...@thomsonreuters.com> on 2009/02/17 11:07:46 UTC

Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation

Hi all,
I have this message during my build process but I don't understand it:

<Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation>

It does not provide the name of the Jar, is there anybody that can help
me, please?

Romain.

RE: Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
I am wondering if Brian, or any other Maven expert our there, could
explain how this warning could be avoided entirely. I have looked into
this at length when adding, for example, source jars to my distribution.
However, the warning always occurs.

I have a pretty good understanding of why the warning occurs. If you
look at the documentation for the source plugin here:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-source-plugin/jar-mojo.html

You will notice in the fourth bullet it says:

* Invokes the execution of the lifecycle phase generate-sources prior to
executing itself.

Thus, if you attach this goal to your build, then if you execute any
phase at or above package (if you use the default phase binding of
package) then this plugin effectively runs the lifecycle twice; once up
to "generate-sources" when it executes the goal, then again for your
actual build. The warning is just letting you know that running the
lifecycle twice isn't necessary since the "generate-sources" phase will
get executed via the execution of the package phase.

I also understand that the goal is purposefully designed this way so it
can be called from the command line and still behave as expected without
having to explicitly generate sources if any sources need to be
generated.

So I believe I understand the warning, but I would love to properly
configure the plugin such that it does not emmit this warning when
attaching the goal to your build.  Or perhaps this warning should simply
be suppressed entirely since Maven already seems to be aware of plugins
which fork their own lifecycle when bound to a phase of the lifecycle
and properly remove the extra fork. The warning seems to cause more
confusion than anything else.

My best guess is that for now, this is just part of Maven's core
architecture and hasn't been important enough to change. Some of this
"may" be fixed in the 3.0 release but I can't be sure of that.
Hopefully some of the experts could comment further.

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by Chris McMillan <mc...@me.com>.
> > <Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation>

I don't know if you are still looking for an answer to how to fix this
problem but what I found to fix the problem for me was to change the
maven-source-plugin goal from jar to jar-no-fork. I also had to add
<version>2.1</version> as well. You may also need to change test-jar to
test-jar-no-fork.

The information was not immediately obvious to me but
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-source-plugin/ Maven Source Plugin
Help  was where I found the information.

Chris McMillan

RE: Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
bump... Is anyone able provide some insite here? It would be really nice
to remove warnings such as this from my build ;-).

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by mfs <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Though I see this warning (while using javadoc plugin), but so far its not
been a worry for me and everything is working fine. Still I had some
questions for the maven experts here to get a better understanding of
this...

Stephen mentioned in this thread, that it would be dangerous if the
plugin:mojo is NOT removed from the forked lifecycle, since the mojo could
cause yet another forked lifecycle and hence result in a recursive
invocation.

QUESTION 1 - Isn't the above statement only true, IF the forked-lifecyle
(caused by the mojo execution) passes through (or reaches) the PARTICULARLY
phase where the plugin was injected or configured to execute at the first
place. For example, I know the javadoc:javadoc mojo forks a new lifecycle
till the "generate-sources" phase before executing the javadoc mojo itself,
now lets say If I had injected the javadoc mojo to the "install" phase,
there is NO danger of recursive invocation, since the new forked-lifecyle
initiated by the javadoc mojo never reaches the install phase. Yes, If
instead I had hooked the javadoc:javadoc mojo to the "generate-sources" (or
any of the earlier) phase , then certainly I see the execution getting stuck
in a recursive loop.. Please comment...

QUESTION 2 - I see the "Removing [mojo] from forked lifecycle, to prevent
recursive invocation" warning only if i inject the mojo (e.g. javadoc) to
the build cycle phases (be it clean, default or even site lifecyle phase)
using the <build> section. If Instead I move the same definition to
<reporting> section, which in other word means the plugin/mojo would only
execute in the site lifecyle (if i am not wrong) then I don't see the
warning at all. I wonder why is that ? Isn't the danger of recursive
invocation still there (ignoring my first question) ?

Thanks in advance,

Farhan.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.