Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/05/19 15:58:22 UTC

[Announcement] Cocoon 1.7.4

Hi,

I'm very pleased to announce the 1.7.4 release of the Cocoon XML
Publishing Framework that you can obtain at the usual location of

  http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/

This is mainly a bugfix release and here it follows the list of changes.

 <release version="1.7.4" date="May 18 2000">
  <action dev="SM" type="fix">
   fixed xpath position() problem that caused the slideshow example to
behave strangely.
  </action>
  <action dev="SM" type="fix" due-to="Kevin Burton"
due-to-email="burton@relativity.yi.org">
   fixed a problem with memory store sweeping idle time declared as
seconds
   and used as milliseconds which caused heavy CPU usage for
undetectable
   misconfiguration.
  </action>
  <action dev="DB" type="fix">
   fixed bug in SQL taglib when doc-element was missing
  </action>
  <action dev="DB" type="fix" due-to="Giacomo Pati"
due-to-email="Giacomo.Pati@pwr.ch">
   fixed bug in SQL taglib's count rows query
  </action>
  <action dev="SM" type="fix" due-to="Bill Parkinson"
due-to-email="bill_parkinson@merck.com">
   Work around context.getRealPath() that fails on some engines.
  </action>
  <action dev="SM" type="fix" due-to="Paul Lamb"
due-to-email="paul@redfork.com">
   Fixed problem with getResource() not implemented on some servlet
engine. Now we test for Servlet 2.2
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="fix" due-to="Ulrich Mayring"
due-to-email="ulim@denic.de">
    Fixed backslash escaping in text node strings
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="fix" due-to="Ulrich Mayring"
due-to-email="ulim@denic.de">
    Fixed invalid code for &lt;util:include-file&gt;. Added debug info
to &lt;util:include-uri&gt;
  </action>
  <action dev="SM" type="fix">
   Added SVG formatting properties.
  </action>
  <action dev="SM" type="fix">
   Changed behavior for absolute stylesheet hrefs which now point to
absolute URI addresses.
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="fix" due-to="Kevin Burton"
due-to-email="burton@relativity.yi.org">
    Changed "create-session" attribute in &lt;xsp:page&gt; to accept
    only "true" and "false" as dictated by the XML Schema boolean
    datatype
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="update">
    Added namespace preservation for XSP pages. To preserve namespaces
in an
    XSP page, add an "xsp:xxx" attribute to the page's root element,
where
    "xxx" is the namespace and the attribute value is the namespace URI
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="update">
    Added boolean attribute "create-session" to &lt;xsp:page&gt; in
order
    to allow for the automatic creation of servlet sessions without
    intervening &lt;xsp:logic&gt;
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="update">
    Added "java.net.*" to the list of default XSP page Java imports
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="update" due-to="Robin Green"
due-to-email="greenrd@hotmail.com">
    Added synchronization on code generation, compilation and loading
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="update" due-to="Pavel Karassev"
due-to-email="paul@soft.tlt.ru">
    Added support for charset encodings in code generation and
compilation.
    Tested only with Russian under Blackdown's JDK1.2
  </action>
  <action dev="RR" type="fix">
    Fixed bug resulting in multiple &lt;xsp:page&gt; top elements
  </action>
 </release>

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.7.4 -- Feedback

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ian Abbott wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > > This is because the stylesheet uses href attributes of
> > > "?section=2&slide=2" which implies an index file in Apache (e.g. I've
> > > set up our to be 'index.xml').
> >
> > What?
>
> i.e. if you call a URI of ...path_to_example/?section=2&slide=2 as
> created by the XSL stylesheet in the example, the webserver will try and
> serve the default index file (as defined by the webserver) and failing
> that it will give a directory listing.
>
> In other words, either
> (i) update the XSL file and put the name of the file in it, so you
> generate URIs of "slides.xml?section=2&slide=2" rather than just
> "?section=2&slide=2", or
> (ii) update the webserver configuration to use 'index.xml' as a default
> index file (I use index.xml, index.shtml, index.html, index.cgi and
> index.asis under Apache) and then symlink slides.xml to index.xml. Then
> when you call "?..." the webserver will send out the first directory
> index file it finds, e.g "index.xml?...". Much the same way as
> "www.foo.com/" actually points to
> "www.foo.com/default_index_file.filetype"
>
> What didn't you understand, Stefano, or does your Windows box operate
> differently to all of us?

no, no, you're right.... but my slides don't behave like that... the uri
is

 .../path-to-example/slides.xml?section=2&slide=2

which doesn't require any change in your index file.

Posted by Ian Abbott <ia...@cinesite.co.uk>.
Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION wrote:

> With Mozilla and IE5 :
> in      http://host/file.foo
> is a link to
>         http://host/file.foo?p=4
>
> but with Netscape4
> in      http://host/file.foo
> is a link to
>         http://host/?p=4
>
> If you want to know which is right, look at RFC, but slides.xml
> bug does not exist, it's because Netscape and IE does not translate
> relative URLs the same way.

Ah! That's the problem. Sorry, but I'm cursed with Netscape 4.7 on IRIX
- no Windows or Mac boxes around, and I've yet to get Mozilla to
successfully compile (the binary tarballs neglect IRIX, and the nightly
builds are some screwy IRIX 6.3 build with versioning problems on the
GTK libs).

Apologies... Goes to show what a pain in the arse all these browsers
are...

Ian

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.7.4 -- Feedback

Posted by Ian Abbott <ia...@cinesite.co.uk>.
> Checking the RFC, it actually says:-
>
> C. Examples of Resolving Relative URI References
>
>    Within an object with a well-defined base URI of
>
>       http://a/b/c/d;p?q
>
>    the relative URI would be resolved as follows:
>
>       ?y            =  http://a/b/c/?y
>       g?y           =  http://a/b/c/g?y
>
> In other words ?query *does* imply the index file after all, so you'd
> need to specify 'slides.xml?query'...
>
> So NS4 *is* right. Or is it? I'm getting confused...
>
> Ian

Yep, to confirm, NS4 *is* right, because the RFC also states:-

#s = (current document)#s

So, '#' infers the current document, but '?' infers the containing
directory unless the file is specifically stated in the URI as
'document?...'

So, you need to update your XSL, Stefano.

Ian

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.7.4 -- Feedback

Posted by Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION <sk...@n-soft.com>.
Ian Abbott wrote:

> Checking the RFC, it actually says:-
>
> C. Examples of Resolving Relative URI References
>
>    Within an object with a well-defined base URI of
>
>       http://a/b/c/d;p?q
>
>    the relative URI would be resolved as follows:
>
>       ?y            =  http://a/b/c/?y
>       g?y           =  http://a/b/c/g?y
>
> In other words ?query *does* imply the index file after all, so you'd
> need to specify 'slides.xml?query'...
>
> So NS4 *is* right. Or is it? I'm getting confused...

In the old RFC1808 (RFC2396 revises and replaces
the generic definitions in RFC 1738 and RFC 1808),
it was not the same:

5. Examples and Recommended Practice

  Within an object with a well-defined base URL of
                Base: <URL:http://a/b/c/d;p?q#f>

          the relative URLs would be resolved as follows:

     5.1. Normal Examples

                ?y         = <URL:http://a/b/c/d;p?y>
                g?y        = <URL:http://a/b/c/g?y>

But it looks like Mozilla and IE5 are wrong and not Netscape !

--
Sebastien Koechlin

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.7.4 -- Feedback

Posted by Ian Abbott <ia...@cinesite.co.uk>.

Posted by Ian Abbott <ia...@cinesite.co.uk>.

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Hi Folks

     I started this thread but made a mistake of not mentioning the
browser I was using.

    Now, let me tell you that I was using Netscape Communicator-4.7.2
on Windows platform, which does not do the translation correctly.

    I tried the very same thing on IE-4.0 on a Windows platform ( ha!!)
and lo and behold the translation is done correctly and works as it
was distributed in Cocoon-1.7.4.zip with NO changes.

    Now please let me know how to get it to work with NC-4.7.2 ?

Regards
Joseph Rajkumar

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION <sk...@n-soft.com>.

Posted by Ian Abbott <ia...@cinesite.co.uk>.

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Hi
    As Stefano points out there is no need for "index.xml", but as
Michael points out the file name "slides.xml" does not appear
in the href.

   For example, when I click on slides/slides.xml, I see the
very first page correctly. Then when the mouse hovers over
the "-->" (forward arrow), I see the href at the bottom of
the screen in Netscape as
    localhost/samples/slides/?section=1
whereas what I should be seeing is
    localhost/samples/slides/slides.xml?section=1
                                         ^^^^^^^  (this portion is missing).

    If I type in the above url directly, then I see what I expect to
see. Does Stefano use a different version of any xsl than the xsl files
in the 1.7.4 distribution, may be that is why, this does not happen for him.

Regards
Joseph Rajkumar

Posted by Michael Scheuner <sc...@cos-data.de>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Abbott <ia...@cinesite.co.uk>.
"Rajkumar, Joseph" wrote:

> b) ApacheCON 2000 Slides
> I get the first page correctly, but when I click on the "-->"
> (forward arrow)
> I get the directory listing, and then when I click on the
> "slides.xml", I go
> back to the first page, and then the "-->" show the directory
> listing.
> So this goes in circles and cannot get past the "directory
> listing" and the first page

This is because the stylesheet uses href attributes of
"?section=2&slide=2" which implies an index file in Apache (e.g. I've
set up our to be 'index.xml'). The stylesheet should either be updated

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Hi Folks

    I got Cocoon-1.7.4 and installed it. I am using ApacheJServ on a Sun
box.

Results:
    Cocoon.xml displays expected results and shows "Cocoon-1.7.4" (in red)

Cocoon Live Show Status:
    1) All examples in "General Examples" work fine.
    2) All examples in "XML-ized web sites" work fine.
    3) Juicy Examples of XSLT Usage:
        a) The RSS examples work fine
        b) ApacheCON 2000 Slides
              I get the first page correctly, but when I click on the "-->"
(forward arrow)
              I get the directory listing, and then when I click on the
"slides.xml", I go
              back to the first page, and then the "-->" show the directory
listing.
              So this goes in circles and cannot get past the "directory
listing" and the
              first page
          c) Structure Formatting with XSLT -- Works fine
    4) DocBook examples work fine
    5) Dynamic Content Generation works fine
    6) Formatting Object Rendering works fine
    7) New media for your web site ( I have not tried these)

Regards
Joseph Rajkumar