Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/19 08:55:38 UTC

FYI: binding / non binding

Hi all,

In the VOTE threads, you might wonder what ‘binding’ and ‘non binding’
means.

Binding means the voter has status in that part of the vote. In the PPMC
vote thread for Apache NetBeans 10, which is currently running, everyone
who is a PPMC member / committer (i.e., you were on the initial list or
voted in explicitly after that) has a binding vote (whether you label it
binding or not)

So far, everyone who voted in the vc5 vote thread is a PPMC member /
committer and hence all current votes are binding for the PPMC vote thread.

When Laszlo puts the result thread together he’ll note all current votes as
binding (more may still be added until the voting period is over, at which
point there could be non binding votes too, i.e., anyone at all is able to
vote) for the PPMC vote.

If one of our mentors or another Apache member or IPMC member votes in the
vc5 PPMC thread, then Laszlo will list those in the IPMC vote thread as
already having voted and their vote being binding in the IPMC vote thread.

IPMC governs the Incubator which we are part of and which we’ll work on
graduating from once we finally release Apache NetBeans 10.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
That's for the correction Laszlo.

I thought I'd seen that before but then again there's a lot of Apache
documentation out there :)

Regards

John

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 7:31 PM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...since the first votes we've had we've used (binding)
> and (non-binding) to indicate votes from PPMC members and not. Non-PPMC
> members can also vote. As far as I understand it's also about acting like
> we're ready to graduate...

+1 with my incubation mentor hat on, it's acting like "a PMC in training".

> ...We obviously still need IPMC votes to actually release once the PPMC vote
> passes (or not)...

Yes, and considering there's few IPMC members on this list it's easy
to differentiate.

-Bertrand

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> We should consider PPMC votes binding for the *motion to release*, and
IPMC votes binding for the *vote to release*. The PPMC has to motion
(with 3x+1) the Incubator to release, so it's not as if the PPMC doesn't
have binding votes...it's just not for the release, but for the *motion
to release*...if that makes sense :)

It's basically a bicameral system.

--emi

http://coolbeans.xyz/ - CoolBeans: An IDE for Java, JavaEE, PHP and more!

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Re: FYI: binding / non binding

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
My bad... I'd marked mine as non-binding as for some reason I had thought I
read somewhere that ppmc votes we're still non binding and only ipmc votes
we're binding for incubator vote threads.

I'll remember for next time.

John

On Wed 19 Dec 2018, 08:55 Geertjan Wielenga