Posted to dev@pegasus.apache.org by Yuchen He <yu...@apache.org> on 2021/09/27 04:05:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache Pegasus 2.3.0

Hi, all devs~

Since Pegasus 2.2.0 released in June 2021, many useful features have been
added, such as Partition Split, User defined Compaction, Cluster Load
Balance etc. Besides, many bugs have been fixed, such as the known issues
in Pegasus 2.2.0, shutting down the Pegasus Servers who have connected to
HDFS won't generate coredump.

As a result, I consider we should start preparing a new release 2.3.0. And
I would like to volunteer to be the release manager of this version. I
wrote a draft release note for the next release:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pegasus/issues/818. Please take a look
and give your comments to it.

If there are no questions about it, I will start the voting process.
Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Yuchen He

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Pegasus 2.3.0

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Great!
Go ahead.

Xun Liu
Best regards,

Posted by Yingchun Lai <ac...@gmail.com>.
Good, Let's go ahead.

Posted by Yuchen He <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi, all~

Posted by Yuchen He <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi, all devs~

Posted by Yuchen He <yu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yingchun Lai <ac...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zuoyan Qin <qi...@gmail.com>.
Great!

回复:[DISCUSS] Release Apache Pegasus 2.3.0

Posted by Yuchen He <yu...@apache.org>.
Thanks for Yingchun's comments~

Firstly, those bug fixs don't cherry-pick back to the branch v2.2, but will
all contain in branch v2.3.

Secondly, I agree your option that we should maintain a stable version, and
cherry-pick important bug fixs it, release the minos version, such as from
v2.2.0 to v2.2.1.
However, I think 2.2.0 is not a long-time stable version, and if we release
a 2.2.1 including known issues fix, such version is still not be a stable
version.
Some important features are part-implemtationed in v2.2, such partition
split, one-time backup. As a result, I think 2.2.0 is not the suitable
stable-based version.
As the  https://github.com/apache/incubator-pegasus/issues/818 shows, 2.3.0
add 164 commits, don't add incompatible changes,
and server can rolling-update from v2.2 to v2.3 smoothly throught my basic
upgrade test. There are less risk for users to use this version.

I think we should release 2.3.0, and we can try to make it as the
stable-based version, release some bugfix cherry-picked minos version in
future~

Thanks,
Yuchen He

Yingchun Lai <ac...@gmail.com> 于2021年9月27日周一 下午1:45写道: