Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gadi Katsovich <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2011/12/30 10:35:02 UTC

POST form parameter parsing order

Hello All,
I am using Tomcat 5.5.30 and am affected by the hashtable collision DoS vulnerability.
I wanted to know if the Request parameter parsing is always invoked?

Or is it only performed once a servlet asks for a parameter? Meaning if my servlets don't ask for a parameter, then no hashing, then no vulnerability?

Thank you.

Re: POST form parameter parsing order

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: POST form parameter parsing order

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/12/30 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> On 12/30/11 4:35 AM, Gadi Katsovich wrote:
>> I am using Tomcat 5.5.30 and am affected by the hashtable collision
>> DoS vulnerability.
>
> Just wondering: are you actually under attack, or are you just saying
> that you are vulnerable?
>
> I would venture a guess that most sites are currently vulnerable, as
> 7.0.23 as a somewhat recent release (and has a nasty bug which is
> easily corrected with trivial configuration) and 6.0.34 was never
> released.

If you haven't noticed yet, there is 6.0.35.

> 5.5.x does not yet have a release version that includes the fix.
>
> Something you can do in the meantime is to limit the max POST size to
> something less than the default (which is 2MiB)... maybe 100KiB or
> whatever will meet your webapp's requirements.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: POST form parameter parsing order

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: POST form parameter parsing order

Posted by ma...@apache.org.
Gadi Katsovich <ga...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>I am using Tomcat 5.5.30 and am affected by the hashtable collision DoS
>vulnerability.
>I wanted to know if the Request parameter parsing is always invoked?
>
>Or is it only performed once a servlet asks for a parameter? Meaning if
>my servlets don't ask for a parameter, then no hashing, then no
>vulnerability?
>

>Thank you.

For all Tomcat versions, parameters are only parsed when required. Ie if nothing tries to read a parameter name or value then the parameters will not be parsed.

Mark