Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pe...@ubs.com on 2006/12/06 17:51:14 UTC

[m2] maven-exec-plugin:java command line launch

Hi

I am looking at Maven Exec Plugin. I found that the command line
option is problematic with arguments:

converter>mvn exec:java
-Dexec.mainClass="com.ubs.firc.ptsp.research.Converter"
-Dexec.arguments="C:\foo\bar"

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'exec'.
[INFO]
-
---
[INFO] Building Maven PTSP Repository Converter Tool
[INFO]    task-segment: [exec:java]
[INFO]
-
---
[INFO] Preparing exec:java
[INFO] No goals needed for project - skipping

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to configure plugin parameters for:
org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-p
lugin:1.0.2

on the command line, specify: '-Dexec.arguments=VALUE'

Cause: Cannot assign configuration entry 'arguments' to 'class
[Ljava.lang.String;' from '${exec.arguments}', which is of type class
java.lang.String

However it does work when I set a configuration inside the POM.
How can I pass arguments to maven-exec-plugin (java goal) with the
command line?

How can you configure multiple the POM configured executions?

--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

Re: [m2] maven-exec-plugin:java command line launch

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On 12/7/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:

> [...]

FYI, the next release of the exec plugin (1.1) contains a change that allows
passing args on the command line (the command line argument is now called
exec.args).

Please try the latest 1.1-snapshot which contains the feature. You will find
it under:

http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org

Also follow the mojo user list (user@mojo.codehaus.org) for reporting issues
with the plugin.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Jerome

RE: [m2] maven-exec-plugin:java command line launch

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

Thanks Wayne.

So there is a bug in the plugin/mojo. It needs an additional parameter
and logic. So setting a profile is probably the best thing to do for
now.

e.g.

    <profile>
        <id>regenerate-pom</id>
        <properties>
            <java.program>
 		com.acme.cartoons.BugsBunnyProgram
            </java.program>
        </properties>
    </profile>

    <profile>
        <id>pilgripe</id>
        <properties>
            <samba.internal.repository.dir>
                U:\internal\maven-repository
            </samba.internal.repository.dir>
        </properties>
        <activation>
            <property>
                <name>user.name</name>
                <value>pilgripe</value>
            </property>
        </activation>
    </profile>

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Your problem is that exec.arguments is a List of String objects, and
you can only pass a single String object in from the command line.

Unless someone knows how to pass an array of Strings from the CLI
(I've never seen that this was possible), you can't do what you're
trying to do from the CLI. You'll need to set up profiles or something
to achieve this.

Wayne