Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Jason Novotny <no...@aei.mpg.de> on 2004/02/11 12:10:04 UTC

Re: Castor vs. JAXB vs. Digester

    Hi,

    I've been using Castor in GridSphere quite succesfully and I'm
interested in the ongoing thread-- first of all, it seems Digester is
just good for reading in XML documents so I'm not sure what that offers
over Castor and JAXB. Both Castor and JAXB provide the ability to
generate stub classes from a XML Schema such as portlet.xsd. In my
project, I had no problem creating the zillions of stub classes from the
portlet.xsd defined in the JSR spec using the Castor sourcegen tool.
However JAXB failed at some point for reasons I don't recall now using
the xjc tool. The other disadvantage (or so I thought) of JAXB is a huge
dependence on lots of other jars namely everything that is part of Sun's
Web Services Developer Pack. In practice, it seems most or many of these
jars are useful anyway so it may not be such a big deal. What are the
complaints people have with Castor? I've been using and loving Castor
for Java to XML binding and all the great tools that come with it-- you
can also reverse engineer a XML Schema from classes which is quite nifty
too. We were also using Castor JDO at one point but switched in favor of
Hibernate which is just way better for database persistence.

    Jason

Re: Castor vs. JAXB vs. Digester

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>.
my view on this is:
as this is part of the sample portal and not the container I don't have
any strong feelings of replacing castor with something else. On the
other side, as it is just part of the sample portal I don't see a real
need for doing this as the Castor stuff works right now.

Stefan