Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Rashmi Rubdi <de...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/16 23:00:21 UTC

How to prevent processing of
 with the whitespace compression task using ReplaceRegExp

Hello,

I'm using white space compression as illustrated here : http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/replaceregexp.html , with Ant 1.6.5 , my original purpose
for using whitespace compression was to reduce the size of the WAR file so that it could be uploaded faster to a production environment and also to reduce disk space occupied by a web page, web page size and decrease the web page loading speed.

Everything works well with whitespace compression, except for certain cases were I want the whitespaces *preserved*.

For example, in a few JSP pages I have the HTML <pre> tag, which is supposed to display it's content exactly as they appear but, after whitespace compression everything
appears on just one line - this is not a problem, except that everything inside the <pre> tag also falls on one line.

Is there a way to tell the ReplaceRegExp task to not process anything that appears between the starting <pre> and the ending </pre> tag in any file?

I recently learned that white-space compression doesn't significantly change a page's speed  as mentioned on this thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&w=2&r=1&s=whitespace+compression&q=b

But, I'm still interested in knowing if it is possible to ignore processing certain sections of a file with a condition.

Any pointers or information would be appreciated.

-Rashmi