Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Divjot Singh <di...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/01 05:19:46 UTC

Re: Nutch 1.x or 2.x

Hi

I have been using Nutch 2.3 with HBase for over past 1.5 years to crawl
over 30 websites. Yes, it was quite a pain to setup 2.x branch to work with
Hbase as there were many bugs still unresolved in the system.But I was able
to fix them gradually but it took a lot of time and effort to make it
stable.

Because the application needed the data to be directly stored in Hbase so
it was decided to go with 2.x as it supported databases out of the box. I
do love the way the source code is written for 2.x. If you go through it is
quite overwhelming at first.With so much modularity things get quite
confusing.But then when you start debugging the code in an IDE you would
get a good understanding. Also, 2.x is written on the Map-Reduce framework
so that brings some added complexity.

I havn't tried 1.x but what I have heard from my collegues is that it is
quite stable and easy to configure and use. 2.x has a lot of configurations
which would be needed to tweak and test. 2.x is also scalable as we do run
it directly on hadoop clusters but again it has efforts involved becuase it
would fail at first and then you would have to debug again and again.

So it would be better to start with 1.x if you don't have to write data
directly into some database and also if you are not very much proficient in
java and map-reduce frameworks.

Thanks
Divjot