Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/24 18:35:20 UTC

OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Hey guys,

I ran the following command

spamassassin -D < TEST_00000.eml

this was the last line of the output

Jan 25 03:30:46.222 [8919] dbg: netset: cache trusted_networks
hits/attempts: 9/11, 81.8 %

What does this mean actually ? Does anyone knows how to read the ouput
given by spamassassin after running this command in general.

The TEST_00000.eml file is attached below

--
*Sarang Shrivastava*
*Computer Science & Engineering*

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 24.01.2016 um 19:12 schrieb Martin Gregorie:
> On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 23:05 +0530, Sarang Shrivastava wrote:
>> Jan 25 03:30:46.222 [8919] dbg: netset: cache trusted_networks
>> hits/attempts: 9/11, 81.8 %
>>
>> What does this mean actually ? Does anyone knows how to read the
>> ouput
>> given by spamassassin after running this command in general.
>>
> That looks like a log entry from /var/log/messages output by a program
> called netset. I don't see it when running spamassassin 3.4.1

pure nonsense - that's part of the "spamassassin -D" debug ouput and
nothing else

Jan 24 20:09:38.822 [2845] dbg: netset: trusted_networks lookup on
10.0.0.19, 3 networks, result: 1, 0.147 ms
Jan 24 20:09:38.822 [2845] dbg: netset: internal_networks lookup on
10.0.0.19, 3 networks, result: 1, 0.086 ms
Jan 24 20:09:38.822 [2845] dbg: netset: trusted_networks lookup on
10.0.0.6, 3 networks, result: 1, 0.099 ms
Jan 24 20:09:38.822 [2845] dbg: netset: internal_networks lookup on
10.0.0.6, 3 networks, result: 1, 0.084 ms
Jan 24 20:09:38.882 [2845] dbg: netset: cache trusted_networks
hits/attempts: 0/2, 0.0 %
Jan 24 20:09:38.883 [2845] dbg: netset: cache internal_networks
hits/attempts: 0/2, 0.0 %

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 24.01.2016 um 21:54 schrieb Martin Gregorie:
> On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 20:52 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> * the point is that he is analyzing *local* files
>>
> NOW we know that. But, the OP's first post made it clear he hadn't even
> read the manpage

yes, but se my response 15 minutes before yours
problem is he is incapable to use a mail client / mailing list

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 20:52 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> * the point is that he is analyzing *local* files

NOW we know that. But, the OP's first post made it clear he hadn't even
read the manpage or he'd have realised that SA's results are output by
adding headers to the message. Also, he clearly had no clue about
asking good questions or he'd have said what he was trying to do rather
than saying (summarised) "SA doesn't do what I want. Waaaa!".

> * so he needs to pass eml files to spamc/spamassassin
> * SA adds a header "X-Spam-Flag: Yes" in case of it reached spam
> -score
> * that output needs to be parsed
> * that's it

In fact that's all anybody ever does with SA. You look at the X-Spam
-Flag header to determine whether the message is spam and deal with it
if it is. Some analysis or more nuanced spam disposal may want to look
at the score and/or names of rules that fired, so they will also look
at the X-Spam-Status header.

Martin

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 24.01.2016 um 20:45 schrieb Shawn Bakhtiar:

>>> You don't classify it: that's SA's job. It only scores messages and
>>> sets the Yes/No flag before adding the X-Spam-* headers to the message.
>>> Nothing else. What you do with mail that SA has classified as spam is
>>> the responsibility of your additional software and/or your users.
[snip..]

> * the point is that he is analyzing *local* files
> * so he needs to pass eml files to spamc/spamassassin
> * SA adds a header "X-Spam-Flag: Yes" in case of it reached spam-score
> * that output needs to be parsed
> * that's it

Simpler yet, get spamd running and just use "spamc -c < mail.eml"
It emits a score and sets the  exit code.
No "parsing" needed, just test the exit code.

EG, suppose I have two messages, one known ham "ham.eml" and one known
spam "spam.eml"

Then:

   if (spamc -c < spam.eml ) ; then
      echo "is ham"
   else
     echo "is spam"
   fi

will execute the 'echo "is spam"' clause
and if you feed it the ham.eml will execute the 'echo "is ham"' clause.
( this presupposes a bash shell varient, coding for other shell types is
left as an exercise for the reader. ;)

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Shawn Bakhtiar <sh...@hotmail.com>.
> On Jan 24, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 00:07 +0530, Sarang Shrivastava wrote:
>> I am just a newbie who has started using SA. Someone on the mailing
>> list suggested me to use -D option. So if this option is for
>> debugging then how do we classify it ?
>>
> You don't classify it: that's SA's job. It only scores messages and
> sets the Yes/No flag before adding the X-Spam-* headers to the message.
> Nothing else. What you do with mail that SA has classified as spam is
> the responsibility of your additional software and/or your users.
>
> Simplest case: configure SA to add [SPAM] as the first word in the
> Subject header and let the users decide what to do with this mail.
>
> Next easiest: If your users' mail readers can detect spam and put it in
> a spam folder, enable that feature for them once you've configured SA
> to set whatever indicator the mail reader uses for spam identification.

The best option I’ve found is to use sieve (filter) scripts (we have a default set we enable for all new users) that simply moves emails tagged as spam into a special folder for the user called SPAM. This allows them to have access to any false positives that may occur.

Most common MDA/LDA’s have sieve script integration either by default or as a plugin module. For example Cyrus has timsieve server built it, and Dovecote has Pigeonhole, etc...

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 00:07 +0530, Sarang Shrivastava wrote:
> I am just a newbie who has started using SA. Someone on the mailing
> list suggested me to use -D option. So if this option is for
> debugging then how do we classify it ?

You don't classify it: that's SA's job. It only scores messages and
sets the Yes/No flag before adding the X-Spam-* headers to the message.
Nothing else. What you do with mail that SA has classified as spam is
the responsibility of your additional software and/or your users.

Simplest case: configure SA to add [SPAM] as the first word in the
Subject header and let the users decide what to do with this mail.

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 24.01.2016 um 20:09 schrieb Sarang Shrivastava:
> Will take into consideration your advice from the next time.

WTF? respond to the list AND ONLY to the list
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+use+a+mailing-list

* set up spamd
* spamc -R -l --socket /run/spamassassin/spamassassin.sock < file.eml
* parse the output

fireup spamassassin for each and every mail with it's whole
initialization is wasting of ressources and time

[root@mail-gw:~]$ spamc -h
SpamAssassin Client version 3.4.1
   compiled with SSL support (OpenSSL 1.0.1k-fips 8 Jan 2015)

Usage: spamc [options] [-e command [args]] < message

   -d, --dest host[,host2]
                       Specify one or more hosts to connect to.
                       [default: localhost]
   -H , --randomize    Randomize IP addresses for the looked-up
                       hostname.
   -p, --port port     Specify port for connection to spamd.
                       [default: 783]
   -S, --ssl           Use SSL to talk to spamd.
   -U, --socket path   Connect to spamd via UNIX domain sockets.
   -F, --config path   Use this configuration file.
   -t, --timeout timeout
                       Timeout in seconds for communications to
                       spamd. [default: 600]
   -n, --connect-timeout timeout
                       Timeout in seconds when opening a connection to
                       spamd. [default: 600]
   --filter-retries retries
                       Retry filtering this many times if the spamd
                       process fails (usually times out) [default: 1]
   --filter-retry-sleep sleep
                       Sleep for this time between failed filter
                       attempts, in seconds [default: 1]
   --connect-retries retries
                       Try connecting to spamd tcp socket this many times
                       [default: 3]
   --retry-sleep sleep Sleep for this time between attempts to
                       connect to spamd, in seconds [default: 1]
   -s, --max-size size Specify maximum message size, in bytes.
                       [default: 500k]
   -u, --username username
                       User for spamd to process this message under.
                       [default: current user]
   -L, --learntype learntype
                       Learn message as spam, ham or forget to
                       forget or unlearn the message.
   -C, --reporttype reporttype
                       databases.  Report type should be 'report' for
                       spam or 'revoke' for ham.
   -B, --bsmtp         Assume input is a single BSMTP-formatted
                       message.
   -c, --check         Just print the summary line and set an exit
                       code.
   -y, --tests         Just print the names of the tests hit.
   -r, --full-spam     Print full report for messages identified as
                       spam.
   -R, --full          Print full report for all messages.
   --headers           Rewrite only the message headers.
   -E, --exitcode      Filter as normal, and set an exit code.
   -x, --no-safe-fallback
                       Don't fallback safely.
   -X, --unavailable-tempfail
                       When using -x, turn 'unavailable' error into
                       'tempfail'. This may be useful for an MTAs
                       to defer emails with a temporary SMTP error
                       instead of bouncing with a permanent SMTP
                       error.
   -l, --log-to-stderr Log errors and warnings to stderr.
   -e, --pipe-to command [args]
                       Pipe the output to the given command instead
                       of stdout. This must be the last option.
   -h, --help          Print this help message and exit.
   -V, --version       Print spamc version and exit.
   -K                  Keepalive check of spamd.
   -z                  Compress mail message sent to spamd.
   -f                  (Now default, ignored.)
   -4                  Use IPv4 only for connecting to server.
   -6                  Use IPv6 only for connecting to server.

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:30:19 +0200
To: h.reindl@thelounge.net
From: Mail-Administrator <re...@gmail.com>
Subject: Test

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com>.
I just downloaded a dataset of spam and hams from the net and fed one of
the training file as input to the SA. What i want from it is to classify it
as a spam or a ham when i run the command spamassassin -D < TEST_00000.eml

And this particular thing i could not found. Any help ?

Re: OUTPUT OF SPAMASSASSIN

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.