Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Youssouf Naciri <yn...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/31 22:05:49 UTC

Subversion on an USB FAT32 partition

Hello,

I tried to create a subversion repository on my USB flash drive, but it
couldn't handle locks since the partition is a FAT filesystem.

I was wondering if there was a way to have a repository working on that,
without needing to create an ext fs on it.

The fact is that I would like to use this USB drive to take my
repository everywhere, and so that I could work with it under windows
and linux systems...

Could anyone please tell me if there's an easier way to get it to work ?

A subversion fan !

Youssouf

Re: Subversion on an USB FAT32 partition

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 31, 2005, at 23:05, Youssouf Naciri wrote:

> I tried to create a subversion repository on my USB flash drive,
> but it couldn't handle locks since the partition is a FAT filesystem.
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to have a repository working on
> that, without needing to create an ext fs on it.
>
> The fact is that I would like to use this USB drive to take my
> repository everywhere, and so that I could work with it under
> windows and linux systems...
>
> Could anyone please tell me if there's an easier way to get it to
> work ?

Set up a server. Access the server from anywhere.

Keep your working copy on the flash drive if you like (I'm not sure
if that will work, but it might).

Re: Subversion on an USB FAT32 partition

Posted by Youssouf Naciri <yn...@gmail.com>.
Yes ! Great Thanks !

I gave up too early, thank you Brass !

I tried once again, creating either a bdb or an fsfs repository and both
worked !

I've really been stupid, since I forgot a slash in my command :

WRONG : svn mkdir file://h:/repos/test
RIGHT : svn mkdir file:///h:/repos/test

Subversion is really a great thing !

Posted by Brass Tilde <br...@insightbb.com>.

Posted by Adam <te...@yahoo.com>.
Instead of putting the repository on the drive, put a
working copy on it instead.  I do this with a 1 GB USB
drive and it works fine under Gentoo GNU/Linux.  I've
had equal results under Mac OS X.