Posted to dev@mnemonic.apache.org by Yanhui ZHAO <yz...@apache.org> on 2020/10/09 16:24:27 UTC

[Discussion] Mnemonic roadmap proposal

Hi Mnemonic folks

As you know that we hope to reinstate mnemonic project from current stage. To have a clear scope and goal for the project to continue move on, Gang has drafted the following roadmap and timelines, and I have added my own comments.

This by no means is that we have already made decisions on the project (that is why we hesitate to show it on the first place), but just would like to share our thoughts on the project with the community. We sincerely hope you can provide your inputs/insights, and proposals as well, as I can see some folks are still interested in contributing.

BR

Yanhui

Project goal:
To deliver a pre-product durable object model library working with persistent memory (we are only focusing on persistent memory right? Do we consider other storage options? I remember we also use HD and SSDs) and high performance storage at the end of next year.

Project objectives
1) A stable and efficient CI system (agreed)
2) A improved documentation and website (The github page and web definitely need lots of work. From a user's prospective, there is no information from us on why our product will benefit them. We may need to stress on easy adoptions and performance benchmark to highlight our core values)
3) Integrated with Bytebuddy (used for code generation? should be helpful but not as important as #2)
4) Supporting JDK14 and leveraging the feature of  non-volatile mapped byte buffers (incubator) (highly agreed, question on whether our JDK14 support will conflict with other modules such as Spark/Hadoop. Mutiple version of JDK might reduce adoption for stability concerns.)
5) Adding Redis as one of backend of durable object (highly agreed )
6) Verified code quality and testing (agreed, test cases need to be improved to reflect the project core values, and it is the interface between us and our potential customers)
7) new language support such as python, golang, etc

Highlight the key values of our project is (1) provide unified interface for storage(memory) backend, (2) remove se-des process to improve the access speed thus improving read/write performance

Project Milestones
1) Dec. 2020, CI documentation and website (v0.14.0)
2) May. 2021, Bytebuddy and JDK14 (v0.15.0)
3) Oct. 2020, Redis backend and quality (v0.16.0)

Project Communication
1) Weekly regular meeting 30mins - 60 mins (how to coordinate with ppls from different time zones?)
2) Event based release meeting
3) Reporting meeting
4) Maillist, Jira, PR based discussion
5) Management meeting on demand (need to absorb more PMC members)

Re: [Discussion] Mnemonic roadmap proposal

Posted by "Gang(Gary) Wang" <ga...@apache.org>.
Thank you ShenLi and Chenyang, both of your feedback are much appreciated,
Let's further prioritize the objects 1,2, 7 in the coming meeting. Thanks.

Posted by Chenyang Li <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Li Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Gang(Gary) Wang" <ga...@apache.org>.
Thank you for the comments.