Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Alexis Manin <al...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/28 15:06:17 UTC

Proposal forJava 17 migration

Hello,

As you might know, JDK now offers "LTS" releases. The latest LTS release
was Java 17, one year ago.
To prepare Apache SIS for the future, I propose to upgrade its Java
requirements to Java 17+.

I suggest the following plan of action:

 1. Make a java 8 compatible 1.3 release (as I understand it, it is already
planned).
 2. Upgrade maven compiler configuration to require java 17 source and
target compatibility. As the build already succeed on Java 17, I expect
this task to be trivial.
 3. Update project README to clarify Apache SIS compatibility regarding
Java versions. (i.e: 1.0 to 1.3 included: java 8 compatible. Going further:
Java 17 compatible).
 4. Start discussing / experimenting JPMS (Jigsaw) modularization in the
long-term.

Who is in favor of such migration ? Is there any objection, remarks or
questions ?

Some additional information:

 - The switch to Java 17 would bring the following features to developers:
     - improved instanceof (also refered as pattern matching for
instanceof) -> since Java 16
     - Java records -> Since Java 14
     - Sealed classes and interfaces -> Since Java 15
     - "var" keyword for local variable definitions -> Since Java 11
     - JDK Http Client  -> Since Java 11
     - Many new methods / improvements in StdLib, amongst others :
VarHandles, new utility methods on Stream (mapMulti, toList, takeWhile,
toList, etc.), new utilities on Optional (or, stream, etc.)
 - I advocate for a jump from Java 8 directly to Java 17, without stopping
by Java 11, because:
     - Java 11 "premier" support will end very soon (september 2023).
     - Jjava 11 does not offers some of the most usefuls features stated
above (records, improved instanceof, sealed interfaces).
     - Other well-known open-source projects already decided to discard
Java 11. For example, Spring framework 6.0 (released this month) requires
java 17.

Regards,

Re: Proposal forJava 17 migration

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Le 29/11/2022 à 20:10, Thierry Danard a écrit :
> Yes. All our applications using Apache SIS are on Java 11 right now

Okay, thanks. I will cancel the current vote about Java 17 and will
start a new one about Java 11 then.

     Martin

Re: Proposal forJava 17 migration

Posted by Thierry Danard <th...@int.com.INVALID>.
Yes. All our applications using Apache SIS are on Java 11 right now

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Thierry

Posted by Thierry Danard <th...@int.com.INVALID>.
I am not in favor. OpenJDK 11 has 10 months left of active support, and
security updates will be provided for 3 years after that

Migrating to Java 17 would require all other libraries used in my
applications to be compatible/tested with Java 17. I wouldn't be able to
benefit from the latest enhancements after 1.3 for a long while.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 2:33 AM Martin Desruisseaux <