Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/16 04:05:21 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Sanselan 0.96

   Apache Sanselan is a pure-Java image library which supports reading
and writing image data and metadata from a variety of file formats. An
new proposed incubator release is now ready.

   The proposed release can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/dist/incubator/sanselan/0.96/

   The RAT output for the bin and src distributions can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/rat-src-0.96.txt
http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/rat-bin-0.96.txt

   A summary of the changes, improvements and fixes in this release
can be found here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sanselan/trunk/RELEASE_NOTES

  The release vote on the sanselan-dev mailing list resulted in 5 +1
votes and no 0 or -1 votes from podling PMC members.

  More information about the project can be found here:

 * Wiki: http://cwiki.apache.org/SANSELAN/
 * Incubation Status: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html

  Charles.

[VOTE] Release Apache Sanselan 0.96 - Vote Cancelled

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

because of the issues reported here, we've cancelled the 0.96 release,
fixed the issues and started with a new vote for 0.97.

Thanks
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sanselan 0.96

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
I have created a JIRA ticket for some minor build improvements[1]:
 * Add standard manifest entries to jar
 * Lock down version numbers for maven compiler, surefire and javadoc plugins
 * generate sources jar for the release
 * include the RELEASE-NOTES in the binary distribution
 * include NOTICE/LICENSE files in the javadoc jar

One issue I found when building from trunk was that Sanselan isn't JDK
1.4 compatible in one class - created a JIRA ticke[2]t for that -
leave it up to you how important that is

The other thing that seems odd to me are the contents of the info.txt
files which the RAT report highlights. To a simple mind like me either
the whole of Sanselan is released under the Apache License or there
should be something else in the LICENSE/NOTICE files. The contents of
these info files makes me wonder about what rights someone would have.

Does "I hereby put them in the public domain" mean - for example:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sanselan/trunk/src/test/data/images/bmp/1/info.txt

Also looking at the following file looks like it should be in LICENSE/NOTICE
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sanselan/trunk/src/test/data/images/png_flags/collection_info.txt

Niall

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANSELAN-15
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANSELAN-16

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Are you planning to upload the javadoc jars to maven
(sanselan-0.96-incubator-javadoc.jar) ? if so the javadoc must have
LICENSE. NOTICE, DISCLAIMER

Minor comments
   - source and binary distribution are being extracted to same directory
   - can't find keys online, but after importing KEYS file from
distribution signatures are ok.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vote thread:
>   http://incubator.markmail.org/message/etebbem2edy36cft
>
> Niall
>
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Charles Matthew Chen
> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   Apache Sanselan is a pure-Java image library which supports reading
>> and writing image data and metadata from a variety of file formats. An
>> new proposed incubator release is now ready.
>>
>>   The proposed release can be found here:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/dist/incubator/sanselan/0.96/
>>
>>   The RAT output for the bin and src distributions can be found here:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/rat-src-0.96.txt
>> http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/rat-bin-0.96.txt
>>
>>   A summary of the changes, improvements and fixes in this release
>> can be found here:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sanselan/trunk/RELEASE_NOTES
>>
>>  The release vote on the sanselan-dev mailing list resulted in 5 +1
>> votes and no 0 or -1 votes from podling PMC members.
>>
>>  More information about the project can be found here:
>>
>>  * Wiki: http://cwiki.apache.org/SANSELAN/
>>  * Incubation Status: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  Charles.