Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/19 16:00:55 UTC

Some notes on custom partitions....

Hey All,

I just finished writing my first custom partition, and
it seems to be working pretty well.  I have some
general thoughts though.

It seems as though the a lot of assumptions are being
made about partitions being attached to a local
storage system (ie jdbm).  This is evident in that:
1. lookup and hasEntry are context level methods
2. and get called on an add (and maby a modify?)
3. createTimestamp and creator are added to the entry
being added to the partition by the server
4. when the partition gets started it tries to add the
root entry
5. There's no compare operation

While these issues turned out to be nothing more then
a bit anoying in my development, they will become
issues if apacheds desides to take the next step and
become a virtual directory.

otherwise it only took me a few hours to get
everything working, so kudos!

marc

Re: Some notes on custom partitions....

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marc,

2005/5/19, Marc Boorshtein <mb...@yahoo.com>:
> Hey All,
>
> I just finished writing my first custom partition, and
> it seems to be working pretty well.  I have some
> general thoughts though.

Congratulations! :)

> It seems as though the a lot of assumptions are being
> made about partitions being attached to a local
> storage system (ie jdbm).  This is evident in that:
> 1. lookup and hasEntry are context level methods
> 2. and get called on an add (and maby a modify?)
> 3. createTimestamp and creator are added to the entry
> being added to the partition by the server
> 4. when the partition gets started it tries to add the
> root entry
> 5. There's no compare operation

You're right. Current interface is almost tailored for JDBM.  We'll
revamp backend storage interface to be more generic and extensible if
we get enough idea to do.

Thanks for the heads up, and we're filing these issues for the next
improvement. :)

Regards,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/