Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Nicholson <ro...@elastica.com> on 2006/11/11 02:31:22 UTC

Re: is there a way to block email coming from

Here's the solution I use

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URICountry

uricountry      URICOUNTRY_GB   GB
header          URICOUNTRY_GB   eval:check_uricountry('URICOUNTRY_GB')
describe        URICOUNTRY_GB   Contains a URI hosted in GB
tflags          URICOUNTRY_GB   net
score URICOUNTRY_GB 2.0

Posted by Robert Nicholson <ro...@elastica.com>.
In my case the rule is designed to catch UK recruiters who are always
contacting me.

This isn't the only way I trap spam obviously.

Another thing I just realized is that this only looks for URI's in
the email itself in order to determine if they reside in the UK.
Something different from RBL type solutions.

Posted by Derek Harding <de...@innovyx.com>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> header URICOUNTRY_GB eval:check_uricountry('URICOUNTRY_GB')
>>

> what if a spammer sends mails from another ip outside GB ?
>
> imho such rules only changes the problem, not solving it :(

URICOUNTRY scores on spams that URIs hosted in a given country rather
than spam that came from that country. Obviously this isn't suitable for
large installations but can be very useful for individuals or small
organizations that know they don't have any contact with (for example)
China, Korea, India, Russia and so don't expect to receive email
referencing websites in those countries.

You're right however that it only changes the problem. Many spammers
moved their websites offshore to spam-friendly countries because they
were harder to track down and prosecute. Encouraging them to bring the
servers back home helps bring them back into local jurisdiction and
hopefully increases accountability. Is this flawed logic? Maybe. However
uricountry has certainly caught a lot of spam at my site with pretty
much  no false positives. Obviously YMMV.

Derek

Re: is there a way to block email coming from

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.