Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gunalan V <vi...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/28 02:27:55 UTC

SOLR terminology

Hello,

Could someone please tell me the difference between Solr Core (core),
Collections, Nodes, SolrCluster referred in SolrColud. It's bit confusing.

If there are any diagrammatic representation or example please share me.

Thanks!

Re: SOLR terminology

Posted by "alessandro.benedetti" <a....@sease.io>.
From the Solr wiki[1] :

*Logical*
/Collection/ : It is a collection of documents which share the same logical
domain and data structure

*Physical*
/Solr Node/ : It is a single instance of a Solr Server. From OS point of
view it is a single Java Process ( internally it is the Solr Web App
deployed in a Jetty Server)
/Solr Core/ : It is a single Index ( with its own configuration) within a
single Solr instance. It is the physical counterpart of a collection( or a
collection shard if the collection is fragmented)
/Solr Cluster /: It is a group of Solr Instances which collaborates through
the supervision of Apache zookeeper instance(s)

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/how-solrcloud-works.html

-----
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io

Re: SOLR terminology

Posted by Emir Arnautović <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi,
Let’s start from the top and introduce also Shards, Primaries and Replicas:
SolrCluster is a cluster of Solr Nodes. Nodes are part of the same cluster if reading configuration from the same “folder” of the same Zookeeper ensemble (ensemble = cluster in ZK terminology).
Node is the instance of Solr process - whenever you run “solr start -c…” you are starting a new Node. That is Jetty process hosting Solr servlet.
Solr Cluster can hoste one or more Collections where collection is logical representation of an Index.
Collection can be sharder to one or more Shards and each shard can have one or more copies called Replicas. One copy is declared as Primary and it can change.
Each Replica is one Solr Core which is the same as Solr Index in standalone mode.

HTH,
Emir

Re: SOLR terminology

Posted by Rick Leir <rl...@leirtech.com>.
Gunalan,

Solr Core (core), is one-to-one with a Solr process and its data directory. It can be a shard, or part of a replica.
Collection - is one or more shards grouped together, and can be replicated for reliability, availability and performance
Node - is a machine in a Zookeeper group
SolrCluster - is a Zookeeper group of nodes

cheers -- Rick