Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/05 21:01:04 UTC

Platform Version support/coverage

Hi!

TL;DR: what OS versions should we be running our tests on? What
versions should we be testing against in our CI?

Recently, I received an email from Sauce Labs, letting me know that
support for test runs on Android 4.3 and below has officially ended.
This reminded me that our current Android CI in cloudapp (which uses
Sauce Labs) tests against Android 4.4 and 5.1, so we are starting to
cut it pretty close with which versions of Android we are testing
against.

In general, I wanted to start a discussion around what OS versions of
our platforms we intend to support, and which ones we would want CI
coverage on?

I think we probably want to have some test coverage on newer versions
of Android than 5.1. Unfortunately, at this time Sauce Labs does not
have support for Android 6 (let alone 7!), so our hands are tied there
until Sauce catches up a bit.

On iOS, cloudapp currently tests against iOS 9.3. Sauce Labs _does_
have support for iOS 10, though, so we could update our CI to get that
coverage if we wanted.

Our CI also includes coverage for "Windows 10 Store", which, based on
some CI output [1], runs on the following environment:

Windows OS: installed Windows 10
MSBuild Tools: installed 12.0
Visual Studio: installed 14.0
Windows SDK: installed 8.1
Windows Phone SDK: installed 8.1

What do y'all think?

[1] http://cordova-ci.cloudapp.net:8080/view/Pull%20requests/job/cordova-plugin-camera-pr/115/PLATFORM=windows-10-store/console

Re: Platform Version support/coverage

Posted by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com>.
Awesome Alex!

I think we might need to do some ironing of some of the tests. iOS 10
forces a move to a newer UI automation framework (XCUITest) as opposed
to the one that's been in place until iOS 9.3 (UIAutomation). I have
made some tweaks to the Appium tests to support both, but it wouldn't
surprise me if we possibly hit some other snags.

Let me know how it goes and if I can assist with anything.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:36 AM, Alexander Sorokin (Akvelon)
<v-...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I say let's do this!
>
> Going to add the iOS 10 builds this week. Will keep you informed.

>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcordo
>>> va-ci.cloudapp.net%3A8080%2Fview%2FPull%2520requests%2F&data=02%7C01%
>>> 7Cv-alsoro%40microsoft.com%7C846b538123ff473a856208d435c14103%7C72f98

Posted by "Alexander Sorokin (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
Per-PR Jobs run time should increase by ~5 minutes, periodic job run time is expected to increase by ~1.5 hours.

Posted by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alexander Sorokin (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
I say let's do this!

Posted by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com>.