Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Oliver Salzburg <ol...@web.de> on 2006/05/30 17:25:46 UTC

Trouble installing subversion 1.3.1 on SuSe 9.3

Dear users,

as the subject already says, i'm trying to install subversion 1.3.1
under SuSe Linux 9.3. I'm pretty new to linux and have only basic
knowledge.
I've tried installing subversion in a veriety of ways. With SSL,
without, with latest versions of neon and apache, with the versions
packed into the tarball. Either my combinations didn't work at all
or i get presented with this error message when trying to commit any
data from my local machine.

 subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:826: (apr_err=22)
 svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/cpp'
 subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:389: (apr_err=22)
 svn: Can't set position pointer in file
  '/usr/local/svn/repos/cpp/db/revs/0': Invalid argument

My current working installation is running with apache and ssl.
I can connect to the server over both https and http but am getting
the same error. I tried using svn_serve which only leads to the same
end.

My desired repository location is /usr/local/svn/repos/*. This folder
(and all subfolder) are owned by the same user running apache (daemon).
For testing purposed i also applied chmod -R 777 to the repos folder.

To wrap this up, the packges i am using are the following:
 OpenSSL - openssl-0.9.8b.tar.gz
 Berkeley DB - db-4.4.20.tar.gz
 Apache HTTPD - httpd-2.2.2.tar.gz
 Subversion - subversion-1.3.1.tar.gz

If any more information is required i'd be happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance
Oliver

Re: Trouble installing subversion 1.3.1 on SuSe 9.3

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/31/06, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > On May 31, 2006, at 01:07, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> >
> >> HTTPD version 2.2 is not yet well supported for Subversion.
> >
> > Who says that? It works great for me with a small repository on Mac
> > OS X, and what I heard was that although the Windows binaries are
> > currently build for Apache 2.0.x, they could just as easily have been
> > built for 2.2.x and it should work.
>
> Going through the Subversion documentation in "trunk", I see a lot of notes
> on httpd-2.0, and not a single one for httpd-2.2. Even if it happens to work
> for you under MacOS X, I wouldn't call that well supported.

2.2 generally works, with the exception being on win32.  The
documentation doesn't explicitly say it, but that doesn't make it any
less true.

-garrett

Re: Trouble installing subversion 1.3.1 on SuSe 9.3

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Oliver Salzburg <ol...@web.de>.
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote;
> Oliver Salzburg wrote:
>> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote;

>>> What in the? OK, Stop trying to compile system-provided software from
>>> tarballs. Seriously: you'll just give yourself an atomic wedgie
>>> trying to do that, especially with somf of the vagaries in SuSE.
>>> Wherever possible, use the available built-in RPM packages.
>>
>> The directly available packages (over yast) are outdated. I will try
>> to use the ones from the suse mirrors and see if i have any luck.
>> I just always felt more comfortable compiling from source.
>
> Then update to SuSE 10. Seriously, SuSE is ill-behaved when you start
> stuffing in more recent versions of core facilities by hand-installing
> them. That's what a distribution is for: to present a working set of
> compatible software. Unless you're a developer, there's a real risk when
> you hand-compile the bleeding edge versions of a stack of packages that
> they won't play nicely together.

I don't have direct access to the machine, which makes it harder for
me to install a diffrent versoin of the distribution than offered
by my provider. I'll try to manage to update to SuSE 10 though.

> Also, there's a fabulous tool for doing SuSE RPM package update
> management, called "fou4s". I highly recommend it over YaST, which doesn't
> know how to mix and match from multiple sources and reverts things at odd
> moments.

I'll definitly have a look at it. Thanks for the advice.

> Last, if you need the most versions, I see that SuSE publishes SRPM's for
> subversion 1.3.0 for SuSE 10.x: why not grab that SRPM, and update it to
> subversion 1.3.1 if you really need the most recent release? It should be
> safer, especially if SuSe eventually catches up and you wind up switching
> back to a default RPM: SuSe does some odd configuration things that will
> bite you hard if you don't use their versions of software. (Don't get me
> started on their dhcp and DNS oddnesses.)

I'll try that as soon as i managed to update to SuSE 10.

>>> Second, HTTPD version 2.2 is not yet well supported for Subversion.
>>> one of the developers who works out the problems.
>>>

>> I've also tried 2.0. Actualy i tried to install the whole thing with
>> the versions as they were given in the INSTALL file. This gave me
>> either the same or other non-working results.
>>
>>> Third, if you need the latest version of Subversion, why not use the
>>> SRPM to recompile for your SuSE release? Pretty good ones are
>>> available from the Subversion website.
>>>

>> I'm not yet familiar with. I'll read up.
>>
>>> Fouth, does it work with "file://" based operations?
>>>

>> Yes, file:// operations work perfectly.
>
> OK, good.
>
> Can you look into your HTTP logs for errors?

Yes, i can. When i try to access the repository i get this in my
error_log:

 [Wed May 31 11:43:24 2006] [error] [client 213.83.45.66]
  Could not fetch resource information.  [500, #0]
 [Wed May 31 11:43:24 2006] [error] [client 213.83.45.66]
  Could not open the root of the repository  [500, #22]
 [Wed May 31 11:43:24 2006] [error] [client 213.83.45.66]
  Can't set position pointer in file '/usr/local/svn/repos
   /cpp/db/revs/0': Invalid argument  [500, #22]

Re: Trouble installing subversion 1.3.1 on SuSe 9.3

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Oliver Salzburg <ol...@web.de>.
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote;

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/30/06, Oliver Salzburg <ol...@web.de> wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> as the subject already says, i'm trying to install subversion 1.3.1
> under SuSe Linux 9.3. I'm pretty new to linux and have only basic
> knowledge.
> I've tried installing subversion in a veriety of ways. With SSL,
> without, with latest versions of neon and apache, with the versions
> packed into the tarball. Either my combinations didn't work at all
> or i get presented with this error message when trying to commit any
> data from my local machine.
>
>  subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:826: (apr_err=22)
>  svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/cpp'
>  subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:389: (apr_err=22)
>  svn: Can't set position pointer in file
>   '/usr/local/svn/repos/cpp/db/revs/0': Invalid argument

Those kind of errors often imply that your subversion libraries are
linked against a different version of APR than your Apache server is.
They both have to be linked against the same version.

-garrett