Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/03 10:05:32 UTC

Declarative Services: Component Factory handling

Hi all,

Recently a problem occurred with handling the immediate attribute of
component declarations for component factories. This caused the
inability to run the Apache Sling Embedded Jackrabbit Repository Bundle
to be usable with the Equinox Declarative Services implementation.

It turned out ([1]) that our Declarative Services implementation was
incorrect, in that the immediate attribute was expected to be true and
not allowed to be false for component factories. It turns out that the
opposite is true: for component factorties the immediate attribute
defaults to false and false is the only valid value if explicitly
declared.

Hence I created FELIX-593 [2] and fixed our implementation. As of Rev.
662680 in trunk and the latest SNAPSHOT version 1.0.1-20080603.075917-4
this fix is now in action. The fix will also be included in the next
release of the Declarative Services bundle.

The consequence of this change is, that and existing component factory
components will not work any more if the immediate attribute of the
component element is set to true.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused. But I think the inconvenience to not
be able to use component factories in whatever Declarative Services
implementation available is even worse.

Regards
Felix

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/osgi-dev@mail.osgi.org/msg00092.html