Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org> on 2011/05/13 16:54:50 UTC

Re: Scalable, failsafe and distributed Jackrabbit setup?

On 16.11.2010, at 19:26, Michael Wechner wrote:

> On 11/16/10 6:56 AM, Christian Stocker wrote:
>> So what do you think? Is my approach feasible? Am I overthinking it and
>> the first approach is by far good enough? I don't say, that I need the
>> full setup yet, I just don't want to get into trouble later, when we
>> actually would need it and have to refactor a lot.
>
> I understand your concerns, but as long as your CMF instances are using the API
> consistently you shouldn't have to worry much about refactoring at some later stage,
> whereas this doesn't mean that you don't have to exchange your persistence implementation
> at some later stage and hence I would suggest that you assume from the very beginning that you will have
> to migrate your data from one implementation into another one.
>
> Re the actual persistence implementation I don't think there is a one-fits-all solution,
> but rather it depends on what kind of data you are dealing with and what kind of queries
> you want to make and as you are pointing out write versus read access, whereas with
> webapps becoming more interactive I think that write access becomes much more important
> than today and hence its important to keep this mind re your setup.

FYI

http://blog.liip.ch/archive/2011/05/04/how-to-make-jackrabbit-globally-distributable-fail-safe-and-scalable-in-one-go.html

One of the things we are looking to do here is to use this setup to have a spare slave with jackrabbit running on some small machine, so that in case our data center disappears forcing a rebuild we already have a clone able [1] setup ready. One thing we want to ensure is that this clone is consistent.

I have only found docs for CRX on this, but it seems to also work with a stock Jackrabbit to do Lucene index checks on startup:
http://dev.day.com/content/kb/home/Crx/CrxSystemAdministration/HowToCheckLuceneIndex.html

I wonder if there is already some way to trigger these checks on a running Jackrabbit?

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org

[1] http://blog.liip.ch/archive/2011/05/10/add-new-instances-to-your-jackrabbit-cluster-the-non-time-consuming-way.html

Re: Scalable, failsafe and distributed Jackrabbit setup?

Posted by Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org>.
On 13.05.2011, at 16:54, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On 16.11.2010, at 19:26, Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> On 11/16/10 6:56 AM, Christian Stocker wrote:
>>> So what do you think? Is my approach feasible? Am I overthinking it and
>>> the first approach is by far good enough? I don't say, that I need the
>>> full setup yet, I just don't want to get into trouble later, when we
>>> actually would need it and have to refactor a lot.
>>
>> I understand your concerns, but as long as your CMF instances are using the API
>> consistently you shouldn't have to worry much about refactoring at some later stage,
>> whereas this doesn't mean that you don't have to exchange your persistence implementation
>> at some later stage and hence I would suggest that you assume from the very beginning that you will have
>> to migrate your data from one implementation into another one.
>>
>> Re the actual persistence implementation I don't think there is a one-fits-all solution,
>> but rather it depends on what kind of data you are dealing with and what kind of queries
>> you want to make and as you are pointing out write versus read access, whereas with
>> webapps becoming more interactive I think that write access becomes much more important
>> than today and hence its important to keep this mind re your setup.
>

> FYI
>
> http://blog.liip.ch/archive/2011/05/04/how-to-make-jackrabbit-globally-distributable-fail-safe-and-scalable-in-one-go.html
>
> One of the things we are looking to do here is to use this setup to have a spare slave with jackrabbit running on some small machine, so that in case our data center disappears forcing a rebuild we already have a clone able [1] setup ready. One thing we want to ensure is that this clone is consistent.
>
> I have only found docs for CRX on this, but it seems to also work with a stock Jackrabbit to do Lucene index checks on startup:
> http://dev.day.com/content/kb/home/Crx/CrxSystemAdministration/HowToCheckLuceneIndex.html
>
> I wonder if there is already some way to trigger these checks on a running Jackrabbit?

should have read the CheckIndex docs to the end:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/CheckIndex.html

java -ea:org.apache.lucene... org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex pathToIndex [-fix] [-segment X] [-segment Y]

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org