Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Vasile GABURICI <ga...@ss.pub.ro> on 2000/05/25 12:47:57 UTC

nstomcat works on 2 1/2 JDKs

	Hi,

	I've made some progress with the AOLServer module in JNI mode.  It
works well now with Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 and IBM JDK 1.3.0. With IBM JDK
1.1.8 it only works well with JIT disabled.

	The separate init thread solution works well with JDK 1.{2.3}. It
is not so good with 1.1.x though. See my web page for details.

	I had a look a the Apache 2.0a3 code. I didn't find an API for
thread programming. That's one good reason why Constin is shying away from
adding threads to mod_jk ;-) AOLServer has an API interface for thread
programming. One can launch threads, use mutexes, condition variables and
so on in a platform independent manner. It works on pthread, IRIX sproc,
Solaris thr_* and Win32. I think NES has this too. Instead of this Apache
2.0 has a mpm that implements the multithreaded core, but unless I've
missed something, those functions are not accessible to the module
developer.

	Cheers,
	Vasile

	http://www.ss.pub.ro/~gaburici/nstomcat/

Re: nstomcat works on 2 1/2 JDKs

Posted by Vasile GABURICI <ga...@ss.pub.ro>.

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Gal Shachor wrote:

> Vasile GABURICI wrote:
> >
> >         I had a look a the Apache 2.0a3 code. I didn't find an API for
> > thread programming. That's one good reason why Constin is shying away from
> > adding threads to mod_jk ;-)
> >
> There is actually... look into the apr library, it should interest you.

	Thanks, I've missed that. I was expecting the mpm to be
implemented using some sort of an abstraction layer, but it wasn't. And I
drew the wrong conclusion. In AOLServer both the core and client use the
abstraction layer. IMHO, that is a cleaner option, althoug it might incurr
some performance loss.

	I'll check if my init thread solution can be achieved with this...

> > AOLServer has an API interface for thread
> > programming. One can launch threads, use mutexes, condition variables and
> > so on in a platform independent manner. It works on pthread, IRIX sproc,
> > Solaris thr_* and Win32. I think NES has this too.
> >
> Are you saying that pthread is not portable (in the level of just using
> mutexes
> on IRIX, Solaris, Linux, AIX... From my experience it is.

	What about Win32? The AOLServer layer covers that too. It also
covers sockets for that matter. I can write a program without #ifdef-s
that will run on Win32, pthread, sproc etc. On of those MIT things :-)

Posted by Gal Shachor <sh...@il.ibm.com>.

Vasile GABURICI wrote:

>         I had a look a the Apache 2.0a3 code. I didn't find an API for
> thread programming. That's one good reason why Constin is shying away from
> adding threads to mod_jk ;-)

There is actually... look into the apr library, it should interest you.

> AOLServer has an API interface for thread
> programming. One can launch threads, use mutexes, condition variables and
> so on in a platform independent manner. It works on pthread, IRIX sproc,
> Solaris thr_* and Win32. I think NES has this too.

Are you saying that pthread is not portable (in the level of just using
mutexes
on IRIX, Solaris, Linux, AIX... From my experience it is.

But in any case, look at the answer to your next email.

> Instead of this Apache
> 2.0 has a mpm that implements the multithreaded core, but unless I've
> missed something, those functions are not accessible to the module
> developer.

Again look into the apr library.

	Gal Shachor