Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jw...@mindspring.com> on 2008/07/16 16:24:58 UTC

Server plugins (C++ broker)

I'm getting ready to make the XML Exchange a plugin, probably next week,
and I'd like to write some general docs on how to write plugins as part
of this.

What are some good, realistic plugins that people might use in real
deployments?

Jonathan

Re: Server plugins (C++ broker)

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 10:24 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> I'm getting ready to make the XML Exchange a plugin, probably next week,
> and I'd like to write some general docs on how to write plugins as part
> of this.
>
> What are some good, realistic plugins that people might use in real
> deployments?
>
> Jonathan

We should be *extremely* careful of making the plugin API public and
supported. Documenting it is a good idea for the Qpid project, and it
would be great to see non-redhat plugin contributions.

However I would not make this part of our supported red-hat offering
yet. The plug-in bits themselves are trivial but a useful plugin API has
to expose a public Broker API of some sort and I don't think we're ready
for that.

If not done carefully, supporting a public Broker API could nail our
feet to the floor in terms of being able to make broker changes without
violating our support obligations.

Cheers,
Alan.