Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Shane Kumpf <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/19 13:52:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] HADOOP-13603 - Remove package line length checkstyle rule

All,

I would like to start a discussion on the possibility of removing the
package line length checkstyle rule (HADOOP-13603
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13603>).

While working on various aspects of YARN container runtimes, all of my
pre-commit jobs would fail as the package line length exceeded 80
characters. While I'm all for automated checks, I feel checks need to be
enforceable and provide value. Fixing the package line length error does
not improve readability or maintainability of the code, and IMO should be
removed.

While on this topic, are there other automated checks that are difficult to
enforce or you feel are not providing value (perhaps the 150 line method
length)?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you,
Shane Kumpf

Re: [DISCUSS] HADOOP-13603 - Remove package line length checkstyle rule

Posted by Shane Kumpf <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thank you to everyone for the discussion.

To summarize, it appears there are no objections with moving forward
with HADOOP-13603,
which will remove the package line length checkstyle rule. Removing or
expanding the 80 character line length limit globally will not be changed
at this time.

Suppression of other checkstyle rules can be accomplished via annotations,
where appropriate, as of HADOOP-13411 (thank you for this work, it will be
quite useful!), so additional rule changes are not warranted at this time.

I will move forward on HADOOP-13603. Please continue to share feedback
and/or let me know if you disagree with the summary above.

Thank you!
-Shane Kumpf

Posted by Shane Kumpf <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shane Kumpf <sh...@gmail.com>.