Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2012/03/04 20:52:01 UTC

Signing DLLs EXEs and Copyright Notices (was RE: Symantec WS.Reputation.1 Errors: What we can do)

Rob, I want to make sure that signature verification and AV scanning activities are not being confused together.

My AV scanned the OOo-Dev Windows x86 en-US .exe of the r1293550 developer preview checked the .exe and its interior components (all 51916 of them, if the count is to be believed) for the things that AVs check for.  It did not remark on digital signatures at all and it found nothing objectionable.

An attempt to execute the preview binary provokes a Windows warning about the absence of a signature on the .exe (and, if it were distributed as a bare MSI, it would check that for a signature).

The comment about signing parts reminds me of something though.  It is also possible and desirable to digitally sign DLLs and the *installed* (not installer) EXE files.  It is not a requirement for installing OOo-dev 3.4: there is no objection from the Microsoft installer and none of the EXEs and DLLs are signed.  This is not unlike signing each of the jar files in a combined, installable application.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> Gee Rob, my e-mail client shows a different, appropriate subject to the present thread.
>
> The branch had to do with understanding the difference between "reputational" warnings and actual malware detections (and false positives), and the variety of ways these things occur.  It makes need for clarification of the specific situation rather important.  The signed EXE case comes up in regard to warnings on attempt to execute using the Windows OS.  I suspect that the non-Windows developers might want to appreciate that.

OK.  If it clarifies things for you, then great.  I, probably
erroneously, assumed the distinction would be obvious to everyone.
It is pretty standard these days for install instructions to tell the
user to ignore these Windows warnings. We can add it to the install
instructions.  If there are special warnings that show up in less used
browsers like I.E. 9, we can add mention of those as well. But I'm
more interested in AV or OS behavior that is more severe, that would
-- perhaps in a managed desktop environment -- prevent someone from
installing AOO at all.

-Rob

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Just to be clear, further, the reputation warning on my Windows configuration is neither from the Windows Installer nor the AV that I have installed.  It is the file downloader that is part of Internet Explorer 9.  Later, there is a Windows OS warning on attempted execution of the download.  That is based on detection that the file to be executed is from an unknown source (not signed) and has been downloaded from the Internet.  Neither of these are AV or installer behaviors, although the IE9 downloader does provide a "security scan" of downloads.  I've never seen anything from it other than a reputation warning, though.

I completely agree that the full executable package should be digitally signed.  A second-order signature would be on those .exe and .dll files that are installed.  This is for provenance, not run-time checking (usually).  Also, the ability to substitute a file in the folder of installed code is invariant.  With signatures, there is an ability to at least check on these files.  [That they need corrected properties, even unsigned, is a separate problem.]

Pondering this some more has me wonder about another problem: DLL side-loading interference.  That's when a DLL with the same name is already dynamically loaded by another application, so it is used in place of the correct one with the same name.  This may be a problem in running side-by-side executions of different releases.  (The fact that all OOo-lineage distributions continue to use the same StarOffice filenames for their executables is a nuisance, but DLL collisions can cause more-serious problems.)

I am not clear how the DLL side-loading confusion is mitigated.  I fear that it has something to do with SxS DLL installation and I may run away screaming.  One can limit a specific DLL search to the directory from which the EXE is loaded, as I recall.  It may be important to do that.  For my homework (not very soon) I see that I need to find out what the guidance for having an application be Windows Version-mumble Ready requires.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> Rob, I want to make sure that signature verification and AV scanning activities are not being confused together.

I'm not confused.