Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "McGarr, Joseph M" <jm...@nsf.gov> on 2006/05/10 17:39:58 UTC

Problems with javax.sql:jbdc-sqlext download

All:

I cannot download the javax.sql:jdbc-sqlext:jar:2.0 from the ibiblio
repository.  it appears that this jar was never added correctly, only
the sources, the pom and their checksum files exist in the repository,
but no jar or maven-meta.xml file.  How do we get a copy of these files
up?

Mike

Re: Problems with javax.sql:jbdc-sqlext download

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Yes Sun is starting to release their source code under CDDL but many
of the binaries they release are still BCL licensed which does not
allow redistribution through ibiblio for a project like Maven.

However there is nothing in the CDDL which prevents someone from
taking the CDDL source code, compiling it themselves, and making that
binary available on ibiblio. The resulting binary would be
CDDL-licensed and the CDDL does not prevent redistribution. I have
actually done this already for a couple Project Glassfish artifacts.

So if this particular file has source code released under CDDL, you
are welcome to compile the sources and contribute the resulting binary
file back to Maven for inclusion in the Maven repo. It is considered
good manners to use the lowest/oldest JDK available (or the proper
source/target value) to compile the code so that for example code
which is jdk3 compatible does not require jdk5 to run simply because
the person who generated the code used jdk5.

Wayne

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.