Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Barnhill William <ba...@bah.com> on 2003/12/06 01:09:38 UTC

A copyright question

Here is a copyright question...

I came across some code for generating a guid unique over IEEE 802
address space and a time of 35 years.
The URL is http://www.theserverside.com/patterns/thread.jsp?thread_id=4976
The author is listed as Adrian Maclean, but I could find no way of
contacting them.
The code implements a standard IEEE algorithm.

What is the viability of using including this code in a greater whole
and donating the whole to the ASF?

I'm guessing it's a no-go, but could use some info from more
license-aware people.

Re: A copyright question

Posted by Barnhill William <ba...@bah.com>.
Ok, still interested in answer, but probably will use java.rmi.dgc.VMID
for guid generation, especially since I would assume the referenced
code's use is no go because

1) ServerSide has copright to all site content
2) The authors name is on the code and no license is expressly stated,
so it probably defaults to the author retains all rights

I wish forums would have a policy stating "By posting code to this forum
you agree that the code shall be licensed under the Apache License", or
something similar.

RE: A copyright question

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
Sounds good.