Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2008/12/15 10:24:21 UTC

Issue with expression evaluation (possibly UEL related?)

To reproduce, from latest OFBiz revision and fresh database with it:

1. in ecommerce (or Order Manager) place a sales order for 10
(anything more than 5) of product "GZ-2644"; this will cause an
inventory reservation against a bulk facility location, therefore
needing a stock move before picking the order
2. place another order for "GZ-2644" so that there are at least 2
reservations against the bulk location
3. go to the Facility -> Stock Moves tab for the facility
WebStoreWarehouse (https://localhost:8443/facility/control/PickMoveStock?facilityId=WebStoreWarehouse
)

When the page renders you'll get an error, the main exception is (just
first couple of lines):

2008-12-15 02:12:58,331 (http-0.0.0.0-8443-1)
[       SimpleMethod.java:926:ERROR]
---- runtime exception report
Error in simple-method operation [<field-to-list list-
name="oiirailByProdMap.$
{orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId}" field-
name="orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation" map-name=""/>]:
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Long
Exception: java.lang.ClassCastException
Message: java.lang.Long
---- stack trace
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Long
org.ofbiz.minilang.method.envops.FieldToList.exec(FieldToList.java:79)
org.ofbiz.minilang.SimpleMethod.runSubOps(SimpleMethod.java:921)

This is happening in the StockMoveServices.xml file on line 65.

Somehow the expression "${oiirailByProdMap.$
{orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId}" is evaluation to
"-2,644" as evidenced by adding this log statement just before line
the line 65 mentioned above:

<log level="info"
message="orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId=$
{orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId}  oiirailByProdMap
value=${oiirailByProdMap.$
{orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId}"/>

The log shows:

2008-12-15 02:18:46,896 (http-0.0.0.0-8443-1)
[                Log.java:110:INFO ]
[StockMoveServices.xml#findStockMovesNeeded]
orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId=GZ-2644
oiirailByProdMap value=
2008-12-15 02:18:46,897 (http-0.0.0.0-8443-1)
[                Log.java:110:INFO ]
[StockMoveServices.xml#findStockMovesNeeded]
orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId=GZ-2644
oiirailByProdMap value=-2,644

In other words, on the second line you can see where the expression
that should return a List object instead returns a Long object with
the value of "-2,644" which appears to be the productId GZ-2644 parsed
as an integer...

Any ideas as to how this might be happening? I suspect it is an issue
with the UEL stuff Adrian recently added, since this was working just
a few days ago.

I'm guessing this is happening in other places too...

-David

Re: Issue with expression evaluation (possibly UEL related?)

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Adam Heath wrote:
> Adrian Crum wrote:
>> Adam Heath wrote:

>>> No, not correct.
>>>
>>> If you have to change all the methods, then you are fixing the wrong
>>> problem.  The generics keep this problem from occuring.  The problem
>>> lies elsewhere, where-ever the listAcsr stuff is instantiated.
>> That uses the UtilGenerics.cast() method - because the Map of context
>> variables doesn't contain a single Object type - they could be anything.
>
> It's called listAcsr, because the users of it require a list to be in
> the map.  If someone doesn't put a list into the map, then it's that
> someone else that is the problem.  Fix the correct problem, whatever put
> the wrong type of object into the map.

That would require re-writing most of mini-language.

-Adrian

Re: Issue with expression evaluation (possibly UEL related?)

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
That would be great, but how will UEL know what object type we want?
There is a way to specify the desired class in JUEL, but the
mini-language and screen widget architecture doesn't support that. I
came up with an idea to add that support (based an Adam's replies), but
it won't be an immediate fix.

So, what should I do? Revert the UEL stuff until mini-language and
screen widgets can be redesigned to better support it, or commit the
try-catch blocks - which fixes the problem but isn't ideal?

-Adrian

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
I "log verbose" UEL exceptions because the spec dictates that an
exception is thrown whenever a variable isn't found - which happens a
lot in OFBiz.

The expression "orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.GZ" would return
null if GZ isn't an element of orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.

Let me work on this some more and I'll let you know if I find some other
options.

-Adrian

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
This is a little painful, but I finally got decent result with a
syntax variation. If we can get louder complaining from UEL we might
be okay with this... but there are probably LOTS of simple-methods and
other places that will need this sort of change.

Instead of:

oiirailByProdMap.${orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId}

I changed it to:

oiirailByProdMap[&quot;$
{orderItemShipGrpInvResAndItemLocation.productId}&quot;]

and it works fine. I played with a few common syntax variations before
getting to this one... and both the quotes AND the square braces are
necessary (leave either out and it won't work, and there is no
complaining about it either).

Of course, this means that pretty much every simple-method, screen,
form, etc (anything that is using the old stuff) needs to be tested,
and if UEL isn't complaining about any little issue it runs into even
a complete code coverage test won't reveal all problems because of
possible data variations like this (like a productId with a dash, aka
"subtraction symbol" in it).

Any other ideas? I like the idea of moving to a more expressive
expression language like UEL, but we do need to make sure all angles
of the transition are covered and that we follow one of the main rules
for committers, ie don't break stuff... which I acknowledge is not
always easy.

However we do it, we really need stay away from suppressing errors,
especially with interpreted artifacts... the faster it fails when we
know there is a failure the better.

-David

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
David,

Thank you for reporting this. I will look into it.

-Adrian