Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> on 2004/08/25 12:43:57 UTC

[ANN] brief nested example war and article (keeping lists in scope)

I added two things to the 'Struttin with Struts' with website that
should help shed some light on issues that seem to come up a lot...

There's a brief article I wrote dealing with the issue people run into
when they lose their request scoped lists after validation returns errors.
http://www.reumann.net/struts/articles/request_lists.jsp

I also added a very small war and some brief explanation of using both
the nested tag and JSTL for working with nested beans in your forms.
http://www.reumann.net/struts/nested.do

--
Rick

[OT] Re: Question about rr_sitemesh demo

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
struts Dude wrote:
> Hi Rick
>
> I have runned rr_sitemesh example, change width
> of navigaitonal bar to 150 pixel by
> changing the line <td valign="top" width="200">
> to <td valign="top" width="150"> in mainDecorator.jsp
> but an empty space seemed to have been created now
> between navigational bar and content, and content
> is created within <table width="100%" height="100%">
> , so what's happening??
>
> Is main.css behind these? I can't c anything wroing with it.

I think you probably meant to e-mail me off the struts-users mailing
list. I can't keep up with every message on this list, but I happened to
catch this one:) Your question is really an HTML question, but my guess
is if you put in border="1" you can see what is going on better (that's
always a good trick to use when debugging table problems). Things get
tricky when working with percents and absolute widths in tables.
Impossible to say what's going wrong looking at just the detail provided
above. Another good 'trick' I sometimes use when debugging html that is
generated from sitemesh, tiles, or includes is to view the source of the
generated page and then save it as an html file. Paste in(or link to)
any style sheets and then you can work with the raw html file and play
around with some of the settings and see how it behaves.

--
Rick

Question about rr_sitemesh demo

Re: Container Managed authentication question

Posted by Bill Siggelkow <bi...@bellsouth.net>.
struts Dude wrote:
> hi
> Using container managed authentication, can i relay request parameters(i.e.
> username & password) to
> loginAction after successful authentication?
>
> Because I want to construct a User bean and add it to Session after
> successful authentication
> but request parameters seem to get lost.
>

> Thanks
You can get the user's name using request.getUserPrincipal().getName();
however, for security reasons, you cannot get the user's password. If
you must have the password, then you may need to use application-managed
security (or SecurityFilter).

Bill Siggelkow

Container Managed authentication question

Re: [ANN] brief nested example war and article (keeping lists in scope)

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
David Stevenson wrote:

> One thing though: The WAR file I grabbed from that page seems to have a
> garbled index.jsp in it?  The other files are OK.

Sorry about that. Should be ok to download. Please let me know if there
are any other issues with the downloads or links not working etc. Thanks
so much.

--
Rick

Re: [ANN] brief nested example war and article (keeping lists in scope)

Posted by David Stevenson <ho...@ytfc.com>.
On 25/8/04 11:43, "Rick Reumann" <st...@reumann.net> wrote:

> I also added a very small war and some brief explanation of using both
> the nested tag and JSTL for working with nested beans in your forms.

Looks very useful, thanks.