Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Jason E Bailey <je...@apache.org> on 2018/02/14 21:05:20 UTC

process questions

Couple of questions.

1. Do specific committers 'own' certain modules/projects
2. Does anyone maintain a grand vision?

Thanks
- Jason

Re: process questions

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Wednesday 14 February 2018 16:05:20 Jason E Bailey wrote:
> Couple of questions.
>
> 1. Do specific committers 'own' certain modules/projects

No.

> 2. Does anyone maintain a grand vision?

Yes... Bringing back the fun!

O.

Re: process questions

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jason,

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Jason E Bailey <je...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...1. Do specific committers 'own' certain modules/projects...

Not formally and this would be contrary to Apache principles.

But de facto there are certain modules which have mostly been written
by one or a few of our contributors, so it's fair to consider them
experts for those modules. But their votes on changes and releases,
for example, don't have more weight than others.

In general, if you're about to make non-trivial changes to a module
that you don't know well it's good to discuss here first, or ask for a
review of your changes.

> ...2. Does anyone maintain a grand vision?

We don't have a general vision document or roadmap, it's more like ad
hoc parts of that for different modules or groups of modules. Which
haven't been well organized so far, you'll find those on the Sling
wiki, on this list and in jira tickets sometimes.

Backing your ideas by a vision document on a wiki page or jira ticket
can be very useful to get a common understanding of things.

-Bertrand

Re: process questions

Posted by Jason E Bailey <je...@apache.org>.
Thanks Oli for making me laugh :)

Partially I'm still coming to learn the in and outs of the development process. As an infrequent consumer of the dev list before becoming a committer the reason why things happen seem obscure sometimes or just plain out of the blue.

One of those obscure reasons is why some things get worked on and other don't. There's bundles that seem to invoke a lot of user noise that don't seem to get attention. An example of that is the Sling Rewriter and it's lack of OSGi configuration support. Which throws just about everyone the first time they use it.

Additionally  I've got ideas for improvements for bundles, like the Rewriter, and the Post Processor but I'm not sure the effective way to communicate them which Bertrands response helped a lot with.

And yes a vision or a plan would be nice.  We do snapshot style releases, will we ever do supported releases?  We just released Sling 10, but tomorrow if we release an incremental version of pipes or sling models, why aren't we doing a release of 10.1?  Also there seems to be a slow movement away from Slings original purpose of being that which wraps the JCR to a Resource Provider agnostic framework, am I seeing things, or is there a a plan?

Things like that go through my mind.

- Jason

Re: process questions

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.