Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2008/04/14 16:30:35 UTC

Stuff for trunk (1.4)

Hi

1. Since my pollset wakeup patch was not accepted
for 1.3 branch, any objections I put the code
back in trunk?
This is very useful addition for both for
tomcat native and probably event mpm.

2. apr_socket_pipe_create(file *in, file *out)
Actually a windows or any !APR_FILES_AS_SOCKETS
wrapper. On posix it would simply return
apr_file_pipe_create. On windoze it'll create
loopback read and write sockets.

This is closely related to 1. cause on win we
can only poll on sockets.
It can even be APR private function.

3. Implement apr_file_namedpipe_create for windoze
Right now comment says it cannot be done, but
my idea is to create a file with the content:
!<pipe>\\.\pipe\apr-pipe-xxxx.xxxx
New flag APR_FOPEN_PIPE (or something) for
apr_file_open would parse the filename context
and if it founds !<pipe> will open or create
pipe with the payload as name depending on the
READ/WRITE.

4. Implement apr_proc_wait_all_procs for windoze
Using toolhelp library

Comments?

Regards
--
(TM)

Re: Stuff for trunk (1.4)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Mladen Turk wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> 4. Implement apr_proc_wait_all_procs for windoze
>>> Using toolhelp library
>>
>> what's the distribution on toolhelp these days?  I know this was
>> a very fragile thing in the past (debug-oriented).
>
> Since windows 2000 it's part of kernel32.dll
> However it would need dynload prototypes since
> it's not present in 95 and NT4.

That doesn't sound problematic then.

You realize we can always go from ENOTIMPL to <do something> on any
point bump, right?  It's simply the addition of the API that would
not be permitted.

{if it's a function that we outright omit on one platform, that's a
bug, not sure how we would want to handle that if it came up.}

Bill

Re: Stuff for trunk (1.4)

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: Stuff for trunk (1.4)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi
>
> 1. Since my pollset wakeup patch was not accepted
> for 1.3 branch, any objections I put the code
> back in trunk?

+1 - let's flesh this out.

> 2. apr_socket_pipe_create(file *in, file *out)
> Actually a windows or any !APR_FILES_AS_SOCKETS
> wrapper. On posix it would simply return
> apr_file_pipe_create. On windoze it'll create
> loopback read and write sockets.

+1 - continuous point of frustration, but on unix is this a pipe
file or a domain socket or which?

> 3. Implement apr_file_namedpipe_create for windoze
> Right now comment says it cannot be done, but
> my idea is to create a file with the content:
> !<pipe>\\.\pipe\apr-pipe-xxxx.xxxx
> New flag APR_FOPEN_PIPE (or something) for
> apr_file_open would parse the filename context
> and if it founds !<pipe> will open or create
> pipe with the payload as name depending on the
> READ/WRITE.

will ponder, perhaps flesh this out with a proposed patch?  I'm a little
unclear yet.  But please - the new API as well for blocking semantics
since we cannot toggle from block/nonblock on win?