Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org> on 2002/08/09 23:25:57 UTC

daedalus is running 2.0.40 live

...since Friday, 09-Aug-2002 13:39:01 PDT.  The traffic was pretty light then
but is likely to get heavy soon, so I went ahead and bounced it.  It's got a
Redirect for the dyslexic security bulletin.

I had a moment of panic:

[gregames@daedalus apache2.0.40]$ sudo apbounce apache2.0.40
(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80

apbounce shuts down the old server via apachectl stop.  When that returns, it
sleeps for 4 seconds, then tries to start the new server.  That sucks because
there's no positive feedback mechanism to tell me when the old server is really
down.  It would be great if we delay exiting from apachectl stop until the
server was really down.  IIRC the last time the topic came up, nobody had a nice
portable way to do this.  Maybe I should just hack apbounce to look for a
listener on port 80 once a second or something.

Greg

Re: daedalus is running 2.0.40 live

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.
On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Greg Ames wrote:

> portable way to do this.  Maybe I should just hack apbounce to look for a
> listener on port 80 once a second or something.

I usually make my "restart the httpd" script look for the pid, run
apachectl stop and then wait until you can't kill(pid, 0) anymore
before proceeding.

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ !try; do();