Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by ms...@aol.com on 2006/03/08 16:58:38 UTC

Lucene Scoring

Anyone have a doc or something that would allow me to explain this to execs? A "Lucene Scoring for Dummies" idea...explaining math algo to a exec or someone with no knowledge is not that easy :)

Thanks!
-Joe

Re: Lucene Scoring

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Roughly speaking:
:
: * Documents containing *all* the search terms are good
: * Matches on rare words are better than for common words
: * Long documents are not as good as short ones
: * Documents which mention the search terms many times are good

Be wary of the distinction between "term" and "word" and how that affects
statements like "Long documents are not as good as short ones" ... If you
have a title field and body field and one document has a really long body,
but a very short title then a search on the title isn't going to be
penalized by the length of the body ... you have to choose your words
carefully.

-Hoss

Re: Lucene Scoring

Posted by markharw00d <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
msftblows@aol.com wrote:

>Anyone have a doc or something that would allow me to explain this to execs?

Roughly speaking:

* Documents containing *all* the search terms are good
* Matches on rare words are better than for common words
* Long documents are not as good as short ones
* Documents which mention the search terms many times are good

...although there are more factors you can choose to add,  like
emphasising individual query terms or individual docs in the index.

Cheers
Mark

RE: Lucene Scoring

Posted by Pasha Bizhan <lu...@lucenedotnet.com>.
Hi,

> From: msftblows@aol.com [mailto:msftblows@aol.com]

> Anyone have a doc or something that would allow me to explain
> this to execs? A "Lucene Scoring for Dummies"
> idea...explaining math algo to a exec or someone with no
> knowledge is not that easy :)

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/Similarity.h
tml

And "Lucene Book: - 3.3 : Understanding Lucene scoring "
http://lucenebook.com/search?query=scoring

Pasha Bizhan