Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com> on 2006/09/13 19:55:28 UTC

[Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release

Hi all,

I would like to propose that we create a branch in Subversion for the
1.1 release (and all future releases) so that we can continue
development on the main trunk while the release is occurring.  This
would also enable us to make point fixes to each release without
requiring that users adopt a whole bag of new features (i.e. the next
release) in order to get bug fixes.  (I'm not saying that we will
backport all bug fixes, just that having the release branch would enable
us to do so.)

-Bill

Re: [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>.
How about the other modules like Sandsha, Neethi etc..?
If we need to fix some bug which has it is effects on modules then the
continuation of earlier branches will be simply useless.

-Jaliya

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,
Yep, That is definitely a reason to do so. What I'm a bit worried about is
that when you do a branch then whatever the bug fixes you do to the branch
would also need to go to the trunk. And believe me, there is going to be a
significant number of bug fixes before the release :) So I guess the best
time to do the branch would be just after the code freeze, so that the folks
who want to work on the code can keep on working with it without effecting
the release.

Ajith

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Chinthaka +1 for your comment.  :)

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>.

+1 to creating a branch when the code freeze occurs or slightly after.

The primary goals are to reduce the length of the code freeze and get the
release out the door.
The branch is a necessary safeguard if the code freeze period is longer
than expected and impacts development.
I agree that the RM can choose when to cut the branch and how to manage the
branch....which is inline with statements from Dims and Chinthaka.

Rich Scheuerle
IBM Web Services
Apache Axis2 (scheu@apache.org)
512-838-5115  (IBM TL 678-5115)

             "Davanum
             Srinivas"
             <davanum@gmail.co                                          To
             m>                        axis-dev@ws.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             09/14/2006 04:34
             PM                                                    Subject

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
I would like to do the code freeze by 25th September, thinking of
releasing 1.1 withing that week. Hopefully it's going to be less than
4 days of code freeze.

if there is a necessity, I'm okay with cutting a release branch just
after the code freeze  hoping the developers would take the sole
responsibility of merging their relevant fixes to the 1.1 branch back
to the trunk.

Said that, I wonder whether there will be that much of development
outside the scope of the release happening in the trunk within the
code freeze period. IMHO branching is ideal if we have a separate team
of devs rigorously going towards another major release (say Axis2
2.0).

I'm sure most of the Axis2 devs and users would like to give me a
helping hand during that time by testing the deliverables, improving
docs, verifying artifacts, etc....  I think it's the responsibility of
the whole Axis2 community to make the Axis2 1.1 release much better,
stable and bug free(of course not 100%).

Thanks,
Thilina

"May the SourcE be with u"
http://webservices.apache.org/~thilina/
http://thilinag.blogspot.com/
http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Thilina

Re: [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release

Posted by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi Ajith,

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bill,
> [...]

> >         Phone: 512-838-1182
> >         Building: 901 / 5G-016
> >         "Ajith Ranabahu"
> >         <aj...@gmail.com>
> >
> >         09/14/2006 04:11 PM
> >                Please respond to
> >             axis-dev@ws.apache.org

> >         axis-dev@ws.apache.org
> >                      cc
> >

> >                 Subject
> >         Re:
> >         [Axis2][Vote]
> >         Create a branch
> >         for the Axis2
> >         1.1 release

> >         Hi guys,
> >         If I understand right the branching usually happens at the
> >         same time  of a release (or slightly after) and is usually
> >         used to fix issues in that particular release. We can
> >         definitely use a branch before the release but is there any
> >         particular reason why we need a branch before the release ?

Ajith Ranabahu

Do we need to create branches prior to releases? [Was : [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release]

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Bill,

Bill Nagy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's actually a good description of the why and how's of creating a
> release branch in the Subversion book
> (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge.commonuses.patterns.release)

You've missed one important point there.

It says "developers need to keep writing new features while
quality-assurance teams take time to test supposedly-stable versions of
the software".

In Axis2 or any other Apache project, who are these quality assurance
people? They non-other than devs itself. So If devs have contributed
enough to this release, I hope they don't have enough time to implement
new features than testing the release :)

> I don't understand why folks are saying that figuring out what goes
> where is tricky or that the work is that difficult.  I agree with dims
> that the RM should be in charge of creating the branch for the release
> -- that branch is then the RM's responsibility.  The RM gets to decide
> which bug fixes (or features I suppose) get added to the branch after it
> is made.
Seems one of us has not got Dims' point. IIUC, what he says is RM has
the "authority" to decide to create a branch or not AND if he creates it
he can decide when and how. What that means is he should be able to not
to create a branch, if he wants and then freeze the code and do the
release and then create the branch. Dims, I understood your statement
like that and that's why I agreed with it.

> The RM, however, has no more of a vote than anyone else as to what gets
> placed into the trunk.  Bug fixes that are made to the release branch
> should most likely be committed to the trunk as well, but the RM doesn't
> have to be the one that does it.  (If another committer made the change
> to the release branch, then they should probably also commit the change
> to the trunk.)
This is one of the problems I'm referring. When RM starts his release
process, and if some one commits to the release branch saying this
should go in to the release, RM is totally lost. RM might wanna decide
that it's known bug and go ahead with the release. But the committer
acts on his or her own discretion. When I vote for the RM, I give full
right him to decide about the code and what goes in the release.

> Moving changes between branches with subversion is
> relatively trivial, and, unless the release drags on, I can't imagine
> that the code bases will diverge that much.

Does this mean, if the release time is short you are happy even without
branches? Seems we are agreeing now. We only have four days between code
freeze and the release. And we all fight for that four days. Isn't it?

-- Chinthaka

Re: [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release

Posted by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

As already stated, it would be nice to have the ability to have just
releases with fixes vs. forcing users to consume new (and possibly
disruptive) features.

Nicholas Gallardo
WebSphere  -  WebServices Development
nlgallar@us.ibm.com
Phone: 512-838-1182
Building: 901 / 5G-016

Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>
09/13/2006 11:24 PM

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 10:55 -0700, Bill Nagy wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to propose that we create a branch in Subversion for the
>> 1.1 release (and all future releases) so that we can continue
>> development on the main trunk while the release is occurring.  This
>> would also enable us to make point fixes to each release without
>> requiring that users adopt a whole bag of new features (i.e. the next
>> release) in order to get bug fixes.  (I'm not saying that we will
>> backport all bug fixes, just that having the release branch would
enable
>> us to do so.)
>
> +1 from me but can we do that a bit closer to the release? Its easier to
> not have to merge too much stuff ..

+1 to Sanjiva's comment. I hope we don't want to make the life harder
for the people who are working hard for the release, by an effort to
make the life easier (is it?) to the rest.

Merging is, at least theorotically, a great idea and a concept. But when
conflicts are coming, practically its a nightmare.

And as Bill suggested, we can *not* do quick releases after minor fixes.
The release process of Axis2 is becoming problematic due to the
dependencies to other projects. So you can not decide at one point, at
least now, and release an Axis2 version. Simple example for you to
understand is releasing Axis2 with SNAPSHOTs. Hope everyone who involved
during past releases can remember the pain we had when once we released
Axis2 with a SNAPSHOT.

Please understand that I'm not opposing Bill's idea. But I know the pain
we are/were going thru whenever we are/were releasing.

-- Chinthaka

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.